CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Request for caramel hatchling pics

Old 06-12-2003, 10:21 PM   #1
Susan
Request for caramel hatchling pics VERY OLD THREAD!

I'm making this request just to verify that Murphy's Law is having fun with me and that I'm not in need of an eye exam.

My situation...several years ago, I bred the following snakes:

1. Normal double het for snow (well proven, had produced morphs as expected) X Butter
2. Snow X Butter

This year, I bred an F1 Normal from the first pairing to an F1 Amel from the second pairing.

If I were to presume the Normal is het aneryth (the only unknown het status until proven by breeding results), I could expect the following (phenotypes only):

9/32 - Normal
9/32 - Amel
4/32 - Aneryth
4/32 - Snow
3/32 - Caramel
3/32 - Butter

9 eggs were laid, 7 hatched today and 2 are poking their heads out of their eggs. The phenotypes are:
4 Normal and 5 Aneryth (as far as I can tell)

I have only produced 1 caramel hatchling in my life to compare these hatchlings to (Lady Luck gave me 7 Butters to go with that Caramel). This hatchling, although darker in saddle color than many of the normals, has a definate yellow color to the background, mostly noticable on the head and neck.

The 4 Normals are definately normals, but I'm not 100% sure about 2 of the aneryth hatchlings. Something seems different about the background color on their heads, but nothing as definate as what I see on the caramel hatchling.

Therefore, any pics for comparison will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
Clint Boyer
Here's a couple

This one is from an Amber X Caramel

This is from a normal Moltey het Butter X Butter

As you can see, there can be quite a difference within the Caramels.

One thing to note, the upper pic is freshly hatched, unshed. It changed color to a more greenish cast very quickly. The lower pic has shed at least once.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:08 PM   #3
stephen
carmel

heres my carmel

Old 06-14-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
Susan
Thanks Clint !!!

The first pic you posted of the freshly hatched caramel is exactly what I was hoping to see...it could easily be mistaken for an aneryth. I'll wait for mine to shed 1 or more times, and look at them in various lighting, before I make a final decision as to which morph they are.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:05 AM   #5
CornCrazy
OK... this whole morph thing

is suddenly getting me very confused. I have a clutch of "normals" that don't look like any normal hatchlings I've ever seen before. They are from a snow X normal motley cross. They look alot like your caramels, Clint. I know that it would be highly unlikely, however, for BOTH of the parents to "surprise" me by being het caramel. Also, it would be almost impossible for them to throw as many of them as they did. Is it possible that some of these are anery? Maybe my male motley is het anery? I did not know the genetics on these particular snakes when I got them, and decided to do some breeding trials to attempt to see if they are het for anything.

Following are some pictures. Sorry I have to put one in each reply, I've not found a good photo hosting site.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:11 AM   #6
CornCrazy
An individual picture...

All of these photos are before the first shed, by the way.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:14 AM   #7
CornCrazy
And one more...

Please let mer know what you think! Regular normals, or WHAt???

Old 06-18-2003, 09:21 AM   #8
Clint Boyer
They appear normal to me...........

It can be tricky at times! After the first shed you should see some color starting to surface. Your babies have a brownish cast to them (at least on my PC), that should become more pronounced as they grow.
The pic of my Caramel was very surprising to me, I wasn't expecting an anery looking snake. My Butter throws more Caramel looking Caramels. I wouldn't consider that pic of the anery looking Caramel the norm.
For an example, look at the pic I posted with the Butter in it. The middle snake is a Caramel but the bottom snake is a normal. The differences can be very suttle with fresh hatchlings.

Old 06-18-2003, 10:58 AM   #9
Kat
Here's a good comparison pic. One of these is a caramel, and one of these is a normal from the same clutch. Two distinguishing features are the color yellow markings they have on their head, and the color of their side blotches, specifically the ones that connect to the belly.

The caramel has lemony-yellow head and neck markings, and the side blotches are obviously brown with no trace of red at all.

The normal has orangy-yellow head and neck markings, and the side blotches are a nice shade of maroon.

-Kat

(Edited because my grammar are great when I get up in the morning. :P)

Old 06-18-2003, 01:39 PM   #10
CornCrazy
Thanks!

I see the difference you are talking about...especially the "color" of the yellow. I appreciate it!

I sure thought it would have been odd for both of my snakes to end up het caramel!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google