CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UTH question...

Old 09-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
Lennycorn
You can use mostly anything to elevate it.
One reason you want to rise it it to keep the weight of the tank off of the uth. For fear of (over time) causing damage to it.
If you want to protect the chest you could use a book of the same size in each corner.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
*salAMANDA88*
would a book really rise it enough..I thought someone said it had to be 12"?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
Lennycorn
A book or tile (which would damage the chest) will do for air flow and keep the weight off the chest. Never heard of 12 inches needed.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #14
*salAMANDA88*
okay good...lol..I mis read thunders response..it was 2 inches..lol..sorry..
uh, do you think 2x4's would work...or if I put it on some sort of wooden rafter ?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Lennycorn
I don't know the size of a 50 gal tank, lets say 40"X 18" as a guess. You could span the tank with the 2X4 going the 18 " way to save on material. Just don't let it rest on the uth. wooden whatever will work.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
*salAMANDA88*
okay..thanks alot..I am just parinoid my house will burn down with all the heating lamps going..lol

Thanks again
~Amanda

Old 09-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
Lennycorn
I would be parinoid with heating lamps too but you don't need heating lamp with corns. That why I think uth are better than lamps.

Enjoy your snake

lennycorn

Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #18
98xjsport
You probably already know, but make sure you put the UTH on a thermostat or rheostat to make sure it doesn't get to hot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google