CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Varmints are getting destructive!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Rich Z
Varmints are getting destructive!

Connie and I were walking back from the garage this afternoon when I happened to glance at the shed next to it and saw a gaping hole in the side. Sheesh..... Just a wild guess on my part, but I'm guessing the only thing around here that could do something like this would be a black bear. Not sure WHY it ripped into the shed, as there is nothing inside for it to eat, so maybe it was after something that dived underneath the shed. Guess I've got some sheet metal patching to do........

Notice the woodwork below the sheet metal got tore up as well.

If this critter can shred sheet metal like this, I'd certainly hate to have it clawing away at my body.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Buzzard
My guess is that something went under it to get away... I agree a small black bear or large bobcat....Got any game cameras set up???

Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
My guess is that something went under it to get away... I agree a small black bear or large bobcat....Got any game cameras set up???
Yes, I do, but nothing covering that area. There was a black bear out at the driveway on 10-02 that I caught on one of the cameras, and this morning Connie found the newspaper had been pulled out of the paperbox and chewed on by something. We have a compost box out near that shed, and surprisingly it hasn't been messed with. Hopefully he's just passing through and doesn't make a real nuisance of himself.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
beautifullywild77
Wow, black bears just like tearing things up LOL My dad is a camp host up in the Valle Vidal. He has to deal with campers and bears. I have seen what one can do to a cooler when trying to get food.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
MysticExotics
Maybe it was Bigfoot

Old 03-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
Rich Z
Heeeeee's baaaaack!

Connie found the bird feeders wrecked and two of the three poles bent over. So I checked the game cameras, and sure enough, our buddy is back. I'm surprised he didn't tear up the compost bin we have out near the garage.

I guess if he keeps on tearing up stuff I'm going to have to call animal control (or whatever it is around here) about him. But honestly, I think he's just passing through, and isn't really hanging around here. Apparently he walked on through here back in January, but didn't disturb anything that time.

To give you some idea of the size of this critter....

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
GoFride
Wow that looks like a big boy! Hopefully, he's just wandering through and will move on once he figures out you don't have any cute girl bears hanging around. Or do you?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Buzzard
For some odd reason he looks fatter than last year.

Whats in those bird feeders????

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
For some odd reason he looks fatter than last year.

Whats in those bird feeders????
Hah! You should see the gold finches around here. They're beginning to get right porky looking. I think even the cardinals are getting scared of them, whereas they used to just bluster their way to the feeder before.

Connie counted at least two dozen of them at one of the feeders this morning, so I'm thinking about claiming them all as dependents on my taxes.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
AliCat37
Haha he just wanted the suet!! I say time to play with firecrackers and tell that bully no more! We just put up a trail camera at work, so far just bunnies, coyotes, a fox, and a lot of birds. And the horses. Can't wait for bears! Hoping for some kitties too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google