CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Okay so to confirm this.Ultramel/amel

Old 09-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
joann42
Okay so to confirm this.Ultramel/amel

One of the babies I was told was an ultramel.But she has red eyes.Not just red pupils but no color to the iris.Wouldnt that make her an amel or can she still be an ultramel?

The "amel motley" has color to her iris's, kinda yellow with "rubyish" pupils.So she is a hypo or ultramel motley?

These are my too problem feeders.Im getting an anole on friday so we shall see.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Pasodama
Some Ultramel hatchlings can look like an Amel unless you look very closely. The borders can appear white but are, in fact, slightly grey tinged and the eyes will have red (non-"traditional" ruby) pupils with light (non red/pink) irises (which can be bluish tinged).

One breeder had such an Ultramel hatchling listed as an Amel... until I had him look closely, at the hatchling, and pointed out these things. He ended up gifting me the little guy! I still have him and he is a beautiful boy ... looking more Ultramel, nowadays, than he did as a hatchling.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Pasodama
Oh ... The Amel Motley ... it should not have yellow irises nor a ruby pupil. The pupil, of an Amel Motley, should be red while the iris is pink (or pinkish). A photo would help but it is quite possible that the Amel Motley is, actually, an Ultramel Mot or Hypo Mot.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
joann42
Thanks so the ultramel could still go either way.As she gets bigger I should be able to see her eyes better.If she ever eats and grows.

I know the "amel motley" was not an amel as I stated above.I guess I shouldnt still call her that anymore.She could go either way as well, hypo or ultramel right? She def has colored eyes and darkish pupils.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by joann42 View Post
Thanks so the ultramel could still go either way.As she gets bigger I should be able to see her eyes better.If she ever eats and grows.
You should be able to see, now, what she is (if you look closely). However, if she is an Ultramel, ... yes, you should be able to tell when she gets a bit older/bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann42 View Post
I know the "amel motley" was not an amel as I stated above.I guess I shouldnt still call her that anymore.She could go either way as well, hypo or ultramel right? She def has colored eyes and darkish pupils.
If Hypo, then, yes, she could be either Hypo A or Ultra/Ultramel.
If you know the genetics, of the parents, it could help pinpoint more accuracy.
Sometimes, you can tell, by looking at its phenotype, but knowing the genetics (of parents) is much more helpful and, test breeding, can bring answers (if bred to the appropriate partner/s).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google