CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Tessera x Tessera

Old 02-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
Frank Pinello
Tessera x Tessera

Can anyone share their experience breeding Tessera to Tessera?
I remember reading somewhere that there has not been a homogeneous Tessera proven and that the theory is that homozygous Tessera die during egg development. Has anyone heard this before or has any info they can share? Thank you.”

Old 02-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
I don't think there's any way to visually tell if a tessera is homozygous or heterozygous, but homozygous tesseras do exist. I believe Mystic Exotics has a proven one. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...=Super+tessera

Old 02-20-2021, 10:21 PM   #3
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Can anyone share their experience breeding Tessera to Tessera?
I remember reading somewhere that there has not been a homogeneous Tessera proven and that the theory is that homozygous Tessera die during egg development. Has anyone heard this before or has any info they can share? Thank you.”
There have been a few Homo Dominant Tessera's proven, and I have not heard of any reports of them dying in egg.

In 2015 I paired a Miami Tessera X Miami Tessera. I sold most of the clutch, and asked buyers to let me know if they produced 100% Tesseras.
Some have not produced clutches yet, due to life, work, etc.
I tested a couple from the clutch, and one of my holdbacks produced 100% Tessera's.
I have one more here that I will be testing.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #4
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I don't think there's any way to visually tell if a tessera is homozygous or heterozygous, but homozygous tesseras do exist. I believe Mystic Exotics has a proven one. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...=Super+tessera
That was a fun clutch!
They all turned out phenomenal!
Here's another thread on a Homo Dominant Tessera:

Old 02-21-2021, 12:27 AM   #5
SnakeCreations
Hi Frank!

I bred a non-tessera to a tessera and got all tesseras. You can see the thread here: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147160

It is quite likely that the male is a homo, or super tessera. I sold him back to Don @ SMR where I originally got him from and he will continue to prove out his genes. In conversations with Don, he states that it is rare, but there are homo, or super, tesseras.

-Tonya

Old 02-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
Frank Pinello
Thanks all for the info!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google