CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

So Relieved! Lucky Me.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
windowswisher
So Relieved! Lucky Me.

I thought it would never happen to me . . . my cage is literally a lock-box. I have so many trinkets and knick-knacks that I knew if Basil were to escape, it would be next to impossible to find her.

About a week ago I was feeding her in an open Tupperware on a kitchen chair. I walked away for a moment, and then . . . well, I totally forgot. When I DID remember about feeding-sweetie, she was nowhere to be seen. We turned over everything in the kitchen, and I began to become convinced that she had slithered inside of the oven somehow and was deep inside of its bowels, lost forever. I cried really hard, called everyone in my phone hysterical, then drank myself into a stupor.

Didn't use my oven . . . it was a week of grim fast food workers and gas. Till yesterday. Came into my apartment and nonchalantly opened my dishwasher; she fell from the top lip into the bottom of the washer. I was pretty startled, she was, too! I cautiously reached in for her and she struck at me - something she's never done in the year and a half since she was born. After a few strikes she let me pick her up, and then she was back.

A little while later I cleaned the kitchen and found a snake shed on the countertop. She was probably hidden somewhere REALLY good, came out to shed, and then was trying to find an equally as good place. Good thing I decided to finally do dishes yesterday . . .

Anyways, never again! I will ALWAYS keep my eye on that little thing when she's out. Lesson definitely learned, and I am so relieved I found her in under a week.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Caryl
Wow, what a story! I'm so glad you found your lost darling. I had a hatchling on the lam last year for just over a week. I KNEW he was dead - until the morning he appeared curled up by the bathtub, perfectly healthy. Since you spent the week eating fast food are you going to celebrate by baking a cake?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Nanci
Very lucky! Glad you found her!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Susielea
Congratulations on finding your little one safe and sound!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
wstphal
Hooray! Basil is home, the prodigal daughter is returned. Do some cooking and give her an extra mousicle!

I have knick-knacks & clutter as well, and when Pretty went slither-about due to my carelessness with the binder clips, I thought I would not find her, she would have to come back on her own. Wednesday night I found her, after THREE weeks of fruitless searching, three feet off the ground right out in the open on a shelf, surveying the room.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
pridecity
I currently have a 6g snake loose myself. I'm not even bothering looking. I have two dogs and three cats that should let me know if they find the poor thing. I have boxes everywhere, so he could be anywhere.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
windowswisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridecity View Post
I currently have a 6g snake loose myself. I'm not even bothering looking. I have two dogs and three cats that should let me know if they find the poor thing. I have boxes everywhere, so he could be anywhere.
Sorry it took me so long to respond, but thanks for all of the kind words, everyone. I've been very busy recently with a full-time job, summer classes, and the remnants of a social life, so sadly it's hard to find time for this wonderful forum. I did look a little bit, but more or less found her by a stroke of luck. She's back to normal again; I was very worried because I'd read in another thread that some loose snakes are never quite the same again, i.e. easily irritated or head shy. She seems fine.

I'm sure you'll find your little thing; it's a sickening feeling to lose them but they're hardy. Good lucky.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escaped, lost