CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Coaxing out of small spaces

Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Onarian
Coaxing out of small spaces

My adult corn just found her way into a small space that I can't reach into. Any recommendations for how to coax her to come out? I tried warmth and a mouse already to no avail.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Nanci
Is she in her viv or out?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Onarian
Out, not certain where she went but I have a gerneral idea of the pretty small area.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Tracee
Without telling us what she's trapped in it's pretty hard to say... I would block all but one exit (if needed) and wait right there!! She may not come out for food unless hungry but that's your next step if she doesn't come out on her own. If you have to leave, sprinkle flour or similar at the doors and windows and it will help you track her movements.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Nanci
Well, if she's an adult, you have a very good chance of finding her. Look along all the walls. Under things. She could be rooms away. Also look up- on shelves, windows, anything. Especially look after dark. You can try masking tape traps- leave tangles of masking tape along walls. If you catch her in a tape trap, be careful removing the tape. You can use cooking oil to help get it off.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
MotleyCrue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onarian View Post
My adult corn just found her way into a small space that I can't reach into. Any recommendations for how to coax her to come out? I tried warmth and a mouse already to no avail.
I would say turn the AC down real cold. If they get cold they'll look for a warmer spot.

Good Luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Onarian
She escaped out of her viv while I was transporting her in my brand new, 3 day old 2010 Prius. Its a bit embarrassing but you need the facts to help.

I think that she either went up under the dashboard or into one of the two heating vent pipes that are under the front seats. I've already pulled apart the dash as well as checking under and in all of the seats and trunk. If she got into the heating system I have no idea if she got stuck or has died. But, its been about 12 hours and I haven't seen any blood or smelled anything, so I'm hoprful that she's alright. Because she's in the car I can't hook up a heating pad and make a nice warm nest to attract her but I tried putting hand warmers in places throughout the car to try to coax her into a warm spot. Also I left a f/t mouse, which she usually eats voraciously in the car over a tub of hot water to keep it from cooling too rapidly. I'm planning on getting a live feeder and putting it in a screen top cage to perhaps coax her out with sounds and smells of food.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Nanci
I think you're just going to have to wait till she comes out...You could try a bottle trap. You cut the top quarter off a two liter soda bottle and put it back together with the mouth of the bottle pointing in. Tape it. Put a mouse inside. She can get in, but most likely can't get out. I'd set out a bowl of water for her on the floor of the car. I'd set tape traps all over the floor. Maybe put some appealing hides on the floor.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Onarian
Excellent ideas! I'll go get a bottle, mouse and tape after class and set up the traps. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Tracee
Ah, yes, the flour trick won't help if she's in your car She will come out if she possibly can, try not to panic. Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape