CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Both of my corn snakes escaped, one still missing HELP!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
XashleyXbbyX92
Unhappy Both of my corn snakes escaped, one still missing HELP!

between 6:30 and 7 AM was the last time i checked on my snakes.

about 8 PM is when i discovered my worst nightmare.. both MISSING.

looked around my room (i sleep with the door closed so looked here first)

about 9 PM i found one (was hoping they would stay together)

i looked in all my other corns regular hiding spots (yes he gets lost often, we should change his name to Houdini) any way, do you think he would leave the room (under the door) or stay in the room? hes about 5 months old. i looked near where i foundthe other hoping he would be close with no luck. i live in a two - story town house if that helps. Ive always found him before but this time is proving very challenging since they had such a large window of time before i realized they were missing. one was found in a set of drawers right beside the tank.any help in ways to find him or any advice would be greatly appreciated!! hoping to find my baby soon

Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Onarian
Check out my thread: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105784

It has a lot of advice for finding lost corns and I talk about everything that I tried to find mine when she got lost. Best of luck to you, I found that patience and being very alert was the only tactic that worked.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Dougefresh
Do you have a cat? If so keep an eye on it they will tell you where it is usually thats how I found mine when my baby got loose once!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
Ayin
Hope you find him!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
atmox
I hope you find him! But if they escape a lot like you said then you really should find the flaw in your viv and fix it..

Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
insomniac
Do you have any idea how they keep getting out? What kind of viv are you using?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
Floof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougefresh View Post
Do you have a cat? If so keep an eye on it they will tell you where it is usually thats how I found mine when my baby got loose once!
Same with any dogs in the house. I once had a baby escape her sterilite overnight, and the dog found her for me the next morning. Also, if you have pet rodents, watch around their cage(s).

Missing snakes also have a habit of showing up when you least expect it (or when it's least convenient!), so keep an eye out! Be alert and watch for the snake where ever you go.

Two things to keep in mind: (1) escaped snakes normally stay within about 10 feet of their enclosure. In other words, search the room VERY thoroughly; you'll probably find him in some place right next to the cage that you'd already searched 10 times. (2) they tend to stay along the wall. Look along baseboards, behind furniture, everywhere. Most definitely search outside of the room if the gap under the door is remotely big enough for him to squeeze under, and in any nearby rooms, just in case he did decide to go wandering farther than you expect.

Most importantly, look at both the snakes' enclosures, especially the "Houdini's" enclosure, for ANY possible ways they could have escaped, and fix the problems!!! If all else fails, get new, more secure enclosures to house them in. If you post pictures of your set-ups here on the forum, including details and close-ups of things like the screen, doors/lids/other openings, etc, you should be able to get some feedback on some of the possible escape routes. Keep in mind that corns are escape artists. They've been known to be able to squeeze out of a gap barely as big as the tip of their nose.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
XashleyXbbyX92
still no luck finding him, ive searched all day. i believe they got out after my boyfriend didnt secure the clamps on the top, and something had been sicking up and lifted a corner up. they are both babies so ive had them together, i found Blaze about 5 inches away from the enclosure in a small drawer. However I can't find Kush, Ive looked in every spot in my room, taken things out, and apart and put them back and looked in the spots again. ive also looked in the bathroom beside my room, the bedroom thats beside my room and the other bedroom across the hall. im wondering how likely it could be that he made it down the stairs or maybe even possibly into a vent? he is still fairly small but im not sure if he is small enough to go into a vent and if he is, how to go about checking the vents. the upstairs has vents on the floor, and down stairs the vents are on the ceiling. i put a small container on its side with some of his bedding in it with a mouse in a corner over night hoping the scent would attract him but he hasnt come out. he knows how to "fall" off things to get somewhere else which is why im wondering if he may have went down stairs. i have both a cat and a dog, and as far as ive seen they havent acted wierd. Blaze misses him terribly, they sleep together and he keeps searching the tank for him its very sad and stressful to not know where he is

Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Lennycorn
I lost one for about three months. And some other even longer!! It happens

When things quite down...he may start to come out!! just read up on the tips that were posted and

get a new boytoy.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Floof
If it's possible that he may have gotten downstairs, then search there, too... Definitely keep searching every nook and cranny in your room, and remember they can squeeze through some tiny holes so, yes, it's possible he may have made his way into the vents.

On another note, you house your snakes together? I'm sorry, this isn't a good idea... Corn snakes are not communal, and being near other snakes can really stress them out... Hatchlings, especially, have even been known to be cannibalistic at times. I wonder if this could have a little to do with the one constantly escaping--constantly trying to stay away from the other? And the one you've caught searching the viv is more likely looking for that escape route again than looking for his cagemate. Do a search for "cohabbing," "cohabitation," and "2 snakes 1 tank" for more information on this, and really start looking into putting together a second set-up for when you find your escapee. If nothing else, it's a safer and healthier way to house your snakes than having them together...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape, lost, missing