CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake's Body Got Smashed Between Tank and Lid

Old 05-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
ForestofWolf
Snake's Body Got Smashed Between Tank and Lid

I just got my snake Avion a new 55 gallon with a lid but the lid didn't come with clamps so for the night I placed a heavy book on top but she still got out. When I woke up in the morning she was sleeping on top of the aquarium with her tail still stuck inside and she was smashed in between the lid and aquarium. What do you think I should do? Has this ever happened to you or anyone you know? Do you think she'll be okay?...I'm really worried.

Underbelly

Full view location

Dorsal view

Side view

Other side

Old 05-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
bitsy
Can she move the tail below the injury?

Is the crush injury above or below the cloaca? The best chance for minimal impact is below the cloaca, although there's a risk to the tail if the blood supply was cut off for any length of time.

If the injury is on or above the cloaca, it might give problems passing faeces.

Generally, Corns are pretty resilient to this kind of injury. However, the positioning and level of damage are critical and will determine the outcome. I think you might need it X-rayed to try and determine how much damage has been done and the level of potential risk.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
ForestofWolf
I think it's right below the cloaca, but the only time I checked out her underside was when I took that first picture, can you tell from that? I know it's a bit blurry. She's sleeping right now, I'll check on her when she wakes tonight. Someone gave me advice saying don't feed her and wait till she does excrete any waste but she did that last night so I don't think she'll be ready to for awhile. I touched the end of her tail and she felt it, and yes she can move it too.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
JustineNYC
Almost looks like the injury is right at the cloaca. Since she can still move the area..the next concern is internal injuries. Not sure I have any advice..good luck to you.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
WingedSweetheart
It looks like most of the damage is right below the vent but it also looks to be damaged too. I think a vet trip would be a good idea.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
carnivorouszoo
I agree, first chance Tuesday I would get her to a vet just to be safe. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
SnakeAround
I would go see a vet and meanwhile cover it sterile, especially the bigger wound, if you have with non sticky (metalline) gauze pad. Is she on newspaper or paper towel already? I would not like to have 'dirty' bedding stuck to the wound.

Don't apply any creams or ointments yet, so the vet can properly see what is going on. You might want to gently flush some cooled down, cooked water over it first to clean it. Of course if it starts to look infected you need to put some disinfecting stuff on it anyway. Try to use something colorless then.

I think the outside can heal, but we can't see what's damaged internally.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
ForestofWolf
Thanks everyone. I have her out now and she's looking great, scales are still busted a bit but she's not indented anymore, I think with a few more days she'll be as good as new!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
SnakeAround
So there was no wound? To me it looked like something took a bite out of her... great it was not actually!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
carnivorouszoo
Looks like a pressure indent to me more than a bite. Kinda like if you sit indian style for 2 hrs or more some folks get an indent where their heel pressed into their other leg. Glad to see that that seems to be what this is. I would still take her to a vet though, Could be internal damage or infection . . .but thats just me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
crushed, escape, injured