CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Found lost snake

Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
CarlosI210
Found lost snake

So my baby snake escaped about four months ago. She was about thee and a half moths old at the time so I feared she'd die fairly quickly. I read pretty much everywhere that they could only survive around two months without food. I searched for a month every day, taking apart every room in my house daily, but to no avail. The second month I still searched but more haphazardly as I'd pretty much lost hope. Then I kind of stopped searching but recently while coming back from buying some things, I found him outside of my mothers window. Now It's been fairly cold so he was noticeable slow and cold. He was also smaller than he was when he escaped but not so small as I would have assumed being gone so long, this is what leads to my concerns which I will get to shortly (sorry for the long post for a simple question). I got him in my house and let him warm down a bit in his temporary tank (I set up the UTH a few hours later as I didn't want him going from really cold to really hot in a short period of time as I was not sure what this would do to him), and I fed him and he fed very voraciously. However being that he survived for so long in the wild, I'm thinking that he fed on something. This makes me afraid that perhaps he might have caught some sort of virus or bacteria that can spread to my other snakes. He seems to be extremely healthy. He was a sweetheart before and was really calm when held (Which is rare for a young corn) and although he's a little more jumpy now, I can already tell that he is adjusting to human hands again. I want to get him checked out at a vet but this is a little expensive since reptile vets are hard to come by here and he does seem healthy (again the only problem being seeming a little underweight although there are no ribs showing or loose skin so he's not critically underweight) Would y'all recommend taking him to a vet even though he seems healthy just to be sure, or should I simply wait it out? Also, while it seems he's readjusting really well, is there something else I should do to get him re acclimated to captivity?

Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
CornSnakeFrance
Good to hear you managed to get him back before it was too late!
How long has it been since you got him back?
Is he active?
If he was underweight it is unlikely he ate anything bad.
Probably best to keep his vivarium away from the other snakes just in case.
Maybe bath him in a luke warm bath just to clean him a little.
Only you can really know if he needs a vet or not, just keep an eye out for any symptoms.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
DollysMom
I'd quarantine him from your other snakes. Some people say 90 days, some say 6 months. Watch him closely. Since he's fed and settling in maybe just go easier on the intensive handling.

I'd probably want to get him into a vet and get a fecal test just to make sure he hasn't picked something up, but it's not an emergency. Just do a good quarantine.

Congrats on finding him. I'm so happy he's home!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Myca
Congratulations
Happy to hear you found your baby.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
CarlosI210
Sorry for the late reply but I did everything y'all told me to do. He's active but he was also not too active even before he escaped, what he would usually do is burrow in his vivarium and find a good spot and just stay there for a day or two. He's been eating very well and I've kept him away from my other snakes, I also checked him for mites just in case but he seems to be free of pests, he's already putting on weight and hopefully I'll be able to get him up to size fairly soon, thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake, escape