CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Can my bruce escape?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
Jems93
Can my bruce escape?

Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone could give me any advice? I got my baby corn snake on saturday and he is in a viv with sliding glass doors. I'm just wondering if theres any chance he could escape? the air holes in the viv are about 0.5mm wide and the glass doors about 0.3mm. the snake is 1.5-2ft long in the viv i cant get my little finger anywhere near being through the holes and the snake is about 2-3 times wider that my little finger. my mum has conquered her fear of snakes by letting me get him (and has totally fallen in love with baby bruce but is worried hes going to escape now that he's started exploring the tank.I want to offer her a bit of reassurance that he's not going to.

Also how long should i leave him to settle in before handling him?

And how long should i avoid handling him before and after feeding? i fed him this sunday and he took the pinky straight away.

Sorry its so long and thank you for any advice :-)

Old 08-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
DollysMom
Your snake can get through smaller openings than you can imagine. If in doubt, err on the side of too secure.

Yes, they can get out sliding doors either by slipping through the opening or by sliding the door itself. Be sure it closes securely.

Welcome and best wishes.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
Jems93
Hi dollysmom, he's been up the way of the air vents tonight and didn't get through them, they're not even big enough to fit a fingernail through. The same with the door opening its also locked shut. The person who we bought the Viv off was a snake breeder and she has never had any escapes. But with mum worrying so much she's started to get me worried too lol. And thanks for the welcome this is a very interesting site so far :-)

Old 08-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
DollysMom
I'm glad to hear the doors lock. If the breeder has experience with that viv then that's who I'd go by. When you get a chance I'm sure we'd all love to see pictures of your snake!

P.S. I give a full 4 to 5 days before handling or feeding the first time. Bruce sounds wonderful.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Jems93
Thank you yes she said she's never had any problems. But I am very aware that no 2 snakes are the same do will keep my fingers crossed lol. And thank you. I keep letting him have a smell of me when I change his water and have ran my hands through the substrate too to leave my scent. He does seem more settled now though he's been in his hiding spots since Saturday and tonight he's been all over the tank and no longer hiding away when someone goes near the tank. And I have loads of pictures of him. Not a clue how to get them on here though lol

Old 08-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Jems93
I figured it out :-)

Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
jet_set_willy

Old 08-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
jet_set_willy
Cute little fella

Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
DollysMom
Thanks for the picture. Bruce is adorable. I love that name. It fits him well.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #10
Jems93
Thanks guys, he is adorable :-) we made it through another night and he's still in his Viv and yes Bruce certainly does fit he's a cheeky chappy his personality is starting to shine through, he keeps coming over to look out of the glass in the tank window and ducking down when he thinks someone is looking lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape, housing