CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Corn Snake with lump behind head

Old 01-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
WaterCat
Yes, that’s the one I had in mind.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #12
chairman
Your snake is very young for this to be the issue, but I had a ~13 year old corn with edema in the neck. I originally thought it was the typical throat swelling before shedding thing. It ended up being a symptom of having a cancerous tumor in the area near his lung and heart.

As said, your snake is awful young for such an issue. However, if you do end up at the vet, then it might not hurt to have a scan of the heart region. Or whatever the vet might recommend to check on the heart to see if it is fluid buildup as a result of a heart issue.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Old 01-18-2022, 09:37 PM   #13
WaterCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
Your snake is very young for this to be the issue, but I had a ~13 year old corn with edema in the neck. I originally thought it was the typical throat swelling before shedding thing. It ended up being a symptom of having a cancerous tumor in the area near his lung and heart.

As said, your snake is awful young for such an issue. However, if you do end up at the vet, then it might not hurt to have a scan of the heart region. Or whatever the vet might recommend to check on the heart to see if it is fluid buildup as a result of a heart issue.

You said you had a snake with edema, did you notice if the swelling went away when your snake had its head upwards? My snake is crawling around tonight and I noticed no swelling when she had her head up, such as when crawling towards her lid, and no visible swelling while she was on the ground.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:53 PM   #14
chairman
Yes, in the early stages the swelling disappeared when the head was raised. When the tumor progressed to the point where it was very evident then the swelling never disappeared.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:20 PM   #15
WaterCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
Yes, in the early stages the swelling disappeared when the head was raised. When the tumor progressed to the point where it was very evident then the swelling never disappeared.

What kind of treatment was involved?

Old 01-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #16
chairman
In my snake's case, euthanasia. There's really no such thing as cancer treatment for snakes.

The diagnosis I was hoping for was one of the heart conditions that sometimes affect snakes, in which case the treatments are medications.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #17
WaterCat
Update: I finally got to the vet today and the vet said she looks really healthy no respiratory infection and the vet doesn't see a need for medical intervention as of now. The vet's guess was that Rosie's head was just too small for the mouse a little so it could be causing some inflammation when she eats, so I will be switching to a smaller mouse size.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #18
hypnoctopus
Thanks for the update. I have never heard of that before, but I'm not a vet. You'll have to let us know if the swelling comes back.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #19
Caryl
How odd! I'm glad Rosie is improving. Hopefully the issue is behind you both.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Old 02-27-2022, 06:22 PM   #20
WaterCat
Second update: Almost all swelling has gone away on the smaller size mouse, still appears the tiniest bit swollen from the right angle, but I suspect either the mouse is still slightly too large, or more likely it's just her growing up and changing shape to not have such skinny neck anymore. Anyway, she is still fine, shed great last week.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google