CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Where did you find your escaped snake?

Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
tbtusk
Where did you find your escaped snake?

I just had the prettiest snake, my keeper, from my clutch this year slip out of his tub. I think it was my negligence to double check that the tubs were all the way closed before I went to bed last night that let her slip out. She escaped sometime after 11:30 last night, and the on going search started around 7 am.

Because of this experience of losing a snake (I've had it happen before but it was always quick to find the snake again, and they hadn't had as much time to roam) I'd like to ask everyone who has ever lost a snake to post info about where they found that snake. If you could tell me what the snake was hiding in, where that was compared to their cage, and how long they were out for, that would be incredably helpful, and probably very interesting too.

I'd like to figure out where the most likely places that my snake could be hiding are. It's possible this will be of no help, but I thought I'd try, and I'm sure I'll get some interesting answers. (I remember someone found their snake after hanging on to their dog's nose after the curious dog had apparently gone to sniff the little guy...)

Thanks in advance for all the replies!!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Topazfyre
I go to a boarding school where we have an animal room where students can bring their small pets (no larger than a rabbit) from home to school. The room is conjoined to the Bio Lab, so naturally the Bio teacher was in charge of looking after the room and its users for a while. Two ball pythons were donated to the room/school when their owners graduated, Tinkerbell and Ralphie. Anyone is allowed to hold these girls so long as they remember to put the rocks back on the viv lid when they put the snake back.

Of course it would only be natural that someone forgot to secure the lid.... Mrs. Bergan (Bio teach) came in to the room to find that Tinkerbell had escaped. They looked everywhere, set up traps, etc. with no luck. Finally six months later, Mrs. Bergan walks into the room early in the morning, looks at the plant located right next to the door, and there is Tinkerbell hugging the plant.

A similar incident happened recently where my friend's Columbian Red Tail escaped from the viv in the Animal Room. It was later found under a pile of rocks at the back of a shelf.

Snakes can be very territorial and often don't like leaving the general area of places they know. If you set up some traps with live mice that can be very helpful, as can leaving out lines of flour to see which way a snake went if it was in the same room. The best places to look are dark corners and other narrow areas. They like to places they can feel secure. Also they may be attracted to heat. If you walk around at night with a flashlight or come in early morning, you may have some luck as that is when they are most active.

Anyways, I hope this helps in your search or at least spark some ideas. Best of luck.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
tbtusk
Yup, we've been going through all those tricks. Right now we're working on draining the last of 4 2 liter bottles of soda to use as traps.

I'm wondering how far the plant and the rocks were from the houses the snakes were in. You said that the snakes can be very territorial, but how close were these 2 found from their cages? Am I right that you said the red tailed boa was found on the smae shelf as it's cage? How long had that boa been out before he was found?

Thanks so much

Old 10-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
tbtusk
well, we found her! We had just finished searching all the rooms upstairs but one. My mom was busy on the closet down the hall, through a door and around the corner from the snakes rack, and there she was. It had been around 20 hours since the snake got out. We thought aboiut the path she traveled to get there, and logically, it makes sense if one was a snake.

Anyway, I still think it would be interesting to see how far your snake went and in how long, so pot away if you want!

Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
JoannaD
Congrats! I am so glad that you found her. She is very beautiful and I would hate to think you lost her.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
clipclopclip
When Meph escaped,we found him that night in the second level of a bookcase behind a mythology book. I guess he was reading up...

Old 10-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
Topazfyre
Good! Congrats on findining it, I know that can be hard sometimes. Deffinately some good fortune this time.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Flagg
My first escapee when I had just one corn, was found on my face as I slept. I had no idea she had escaped, and woke up to find her on my head and face in bed.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #9
Random8A
SO glad you found him/her.

Its like murder when you loose a snake ( or anything for that matter ) and dont know where to look first.

But once you've found what your looking for, its the ultimate reward, thats for darn sure

Old 10-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
Sanebedlam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
My first escapee when I had just one corn, was found on my face as I slept. I had no idea she had escaped, and woke up to find her on my head and face in bed.
Ahhh..She loved you! She wanted to come snuggle!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape