CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Tank size?

Old 02-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #1
JustinOD21
Tank size?

Hello everyone my name is Justin,

My question is for all of those with more knowledge on corn snakes. My wife and I are wanting to get a corn snake we have owned in the past a juvenile corn snake, juvenile bearded dragon and a adult bearded dragon and a Nile monitor but because of needing to relocate we had to rehome them and would like to get back into owning a snake.

So now for my question would a 55 gallon aquarium tank be okay to get for a baby or juvenile corn snake so that they can grow up in it and have to potential to reach their full size or start them off in a smaller tank. And if I can use the 55 what would be the best way to heat it pads or lights and what kind of lights for normal lighting also what’s the best substrate for a corn snake.

If there is any other information that’ll help us to better care for it please let me know.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2021, 12:58 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Either option is fine, but regardless of tank size, you need to add plenty of clutter and hides for a baby corn snake to feel secure. If you go with a larger tank right off the bat, then you'll just need more clutter and hides. And it will be harder to dig around and find the baby. Any enclosure you get needs to be very escape proof. Corn snakes are excellent escape artists and babies can fit through some very tiny gaps.

For heating, you can do heat mat, heat lamp or ceramic heat emitter. I've personally only used heat pads because heat lamps are more of a fire risk and they tend to dry out the environment too much, but lots of people prefer them and can make them work. Any heat source should be controlled by a thermostat, since corns only need a warm spot of around 87 degrees.

Aspen is a super popular choice for substrate, but there are a variety of things you can use. Something that they can burrow in is best, and no resinous woods like pine. The different substrates hold humidity better or worse, so if you're having issues one way or another (either too much or not enough humidity), you may find switching substrates can help.

As far as other info, spend a little time reading through this forum. There's also a search bar at the top right if you're looking for something specific. And feel free to ask any other questions you think of.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google