CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Are Motley/Stripe Hypo Morphs?

Old 05-13-2022, 07:42 PM   #1
SnakeSmithS
Are Motley/Stripe Hypo Morphs?

Most Motleys and Stripes I've seen lack any truly black coloration. Given that Motley/Stripe reduces black to such a degree in blotch borders and belly checkers, should it not be considered a hypomelanistic mutation? Kathy and Bill Love do touch on this topic briefly in their book, but I can't remember Motley/Stripe being included in the many conversations about "Hypo Type" genes I've seen elsewhere (print, online, convos with other breeders, etc...). Motley/Stripe changes both pattern and color, just like Sunkissed does pretty reliably, yet I have relatively consistently heard people include Sunkissed in the "Hypo Conversation". When I'm trying to dream up new genetic combos, I always essentially think about Motley/Stripe as a Hypo type. I'm curious how others think about this. Thanks!

Completely gratuitous photo of one of my favorite Motley gals (Aura: Golddust Motley)

Old 05-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #2
Frank Pinello
Please no more hypo morphs....Lol.
I definitely agree that both striped and motley mutations reduce the black pigment in corns, but the affects it has on the pattern is more substantial to me.
I do see partial black boarders on some of my motley’s reduced to black spots. Not so much if at all on the striped corns.
Also my motley and striped blood reds are much darker than my hypo blood reds.
So personally I don’t think of motley and stripe as another hypomelanistic morph.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:59 PM   #3
Shiari
Motley and stripe reduce the amount, not the quality and hypo is defined by reduction in quality (gray, brown, chocolate, charcoal-gray, tan, etc). But this reduction in locations where black is expressed causes a "hypo-like" effect. But any black they have will be a true black.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:18 PM   #4
Caryl
Aura is gorgeous, Neil! I can see why she's a favorite.

I don't think of Motley/Stripe as hypo but I do think of them as lighteners and brighteners. I definitely consider that effect in my breeding plans. I do love my Stripes! I had quite a few Motley and Stripe snakes prior to my having to scale down a few years ago. At that point, I didn't think I would be working with both again and chose to keep the just the Stripes. (I've still got one male who's het for Motley OR Stripe. Should find out which this year.) That was partly for the markings since I'd worked on selecting for that. It was partly for that brightening.

So no, not hypo but absolutely a factor to consider for more than markings.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-14-2022, 10:24 PM   #5
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Motley and stripe reduce the amount, not the quality and hypo is defined by reduction in quality (gray, brown, chocolate, charcoal-gray, tan, etc). But this reduction in locations where black is expressed causes a "hypo-like" effect. But any black they have will be a true black.
This may be the best concise comparison of true hypo and "hypo-like" I've seen.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google