CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Cleaning corn snake poop from carpet (poop picture warning)

Old 06-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
DollysMom
Cleaning corn snake poop from carpet (poop picture warning)

This came up in another thread.

If your snake crawls on your carpet, sooner or later your snake will poop on your carpet. Then you will need to clean the carpet. There is more than on way to do this and I hope others will share their experience for those just starting out and who are concerned about it. This is how I do it.

I will start out with the dirty deed and the guilty party (who I love dearly and hold blameless).

First I pick up the solids (feces) with a paper towel. Be careful to pick them up and do not grind them in. (This and all paper towels will go in the trash.) Then all that's left is the urates (snake pee).

Then I take my cleaner and spray it, blot it up, spray again, rub with a clean dry paper towel until as dry as possible.

This is the finished result. Total cleaning time 3 minutes. Hope this help removes any mystery about it!

Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
FayeWild
Our corn snake once pooped on the living room carpet. I was really worried about the cleaning since it was an expensive carpet. I picked up the poop with a paper towel and soaked up the pee using the towel. Also, I cleaned it using a rag and scrub. Fortunately, no stain marks were left on the carpet and I could clean it completely. I have heard that bleach is not good for carpets so I never tried using them.
The professional cleaners suggest using a moist paper towel or baby wipes to remove the poop efficiently. The white vinegar and dishwashing detergent mixture along with a cup of hot water would be an effective solution to remove the stains from the carpet.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
DLena
Quite timely. Urk. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
DollysMom
Thanks Fayewild. Definitely not a job for bleach. Vinegar is a mild disinfectant and great at killing odor. I think the key is picking up the feces without accidentally smooshing them in. I'd say any product made for cleaning pet pee and poop from carpeting will probably do the job without harm. But as the manufacturers say, test to make sure.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
Patmart
Dollys mom you have a lovely snake
Pat x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
DollysMom
Ty Patmart. Mandy is my precious rescue girl.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
florinevier
I love animals, but I understand that they can damage your home if you don't keep an eye on them. This is why I don't let my pets in the house. For instance, I have a cat, and most of the time, he sleeps outside in the mini house that I've built for him. Still, after I've bought protective flooring from https://www.carpetcaptain.com/flooring-options/best-floor-for-cats/ for my cat, sometimes I let him in, especially when It's cold outside. What about you guys? Do you prefer your pets to stay inside or out? If someone is interested in discussing this, feel free to text me.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
machinex
My corn snake, Great Danes (2), Cats (2), Quaker Parrot, and small shoal of piranha are inside. Dogs obviously go outside to "use the facilities",but prefer to be inside, especially on hot days. The cats go outside as well to clean up the neighborhood from pests.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google