CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

View Poll Results: How often do you clean your cage?
once a week 42 47.73%
once every 2 weeks 13 14.77%
3 weeks 12 13.64%
4 weeks + 21 23.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: How often do you clean your cage?
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 03:19 AM   #1
jdub
Lightbulb POLL: How often do you clean your cage?

How often do you clean you cages???

Old 04-07-2003, 03:38 AM   #2
13mur 6
Every single time my snake poops, or every week, which ever come's first. The water is changed every 2-3 days. I use paper towel bedding so it's easy to clean up, I roll up the paper towel, dunk all the cage accessories in bleach water, scrub and rinse em a little, and return everything to their place after I spray the cage with bleach solution and rinse with garden hose. I got it down to a 15 minute job per cage, it's pretty fast once it gets routine, and it keeps all the cages squeaky clean.

Once in a while I'll let a tank sit in bleach water with all the accessories for extended periods of time (about an hour) if I suspect bateria or something (bad smells, sick snake, mites, etc).

Yes, I'm one of those clean freaks.

-13mur 6

Old 04-08-2003, 04:06 PM   #3
fateamber
I only clean the whole viv every month but as soon as they poop i clean it out of the viv.

Old 04-14-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
Harpy
ALL OF THE ABOVE...

I spot clean..poop detail...when it happens..

I Scrub clean...once a week or so...when it needs it..

I Bleach clean.... once a month..

I Replace all barkchips... every two months or so..OR if it is bad.

I Bath the SNAKE...WHEN IT NEEDS IT...My female seems to love slithering across her poo...

AND then there are the other herps in the house...but thats another forum all together..

Harpy

Old 04-14-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
drizzt_19
I'm a clean freak

I clean the cages after every defacation...All cage furniture and cages are washed in a bleach/kitchen-sanitizer solution usally about every three to five days...Sometimes twice a week...I use newspaper as a bedding now...Really easy to clean and the best part is it's free...

Old 04-15-2003, 05:09 PM   #6
QuickSilver
It may be different with just one 18 inch snake, but there's really not all that much to clean (compared to rodents), so once every 2 weeks I wash everything with bleach water and replace the bark. Fresh water in a clean dish every day or two. There doesn't seem to be any odor at all between cleanings. If I see the poop I clean it out, but it's really pretty minimal.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:22 PM   #7
CAV
I spot clean and change water bi-weekly and I sanitize tubs bi-monthly.

Has anyone tried to soak, bake and reuse Repti-Bark or a similar wood type substrate?

Old 04-15-2003, 08:32 PM   #8
Chip
It seems like daily

I'm "sport-feeding" my breeders and they can't do me the favor of pooping on the same day, so I have to clean some every day or two. I've seen mold spores growing off one I missed, so got uptight about it. I clean them all with bleach the day before feeding (once weekly, except with babies and breeders) and have identical rubbermaids I cycle them in.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:50 PM   #9
Siva
I am on poop detail every day and i try to clean water every day but i usually get distracted and it works out to every other day.

When i'm using paper towels i clean and change bedding once a week but that is only for temporary cages or now when i am monitoring for breeding signs. I usually use aspen and i do the same things but i only completely clean bedding etc. once every two weeks. I do the deep cleaning (bleach soaking and cage rearranging if needed) once a month.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:11 AM   #10
IndianaCorn
This is along the lines of cleaning.. I have two half log hides, big piece of driftwood, and some fake plants... would this stuff be ok in a bleach water solution? Does bleach have any ill effects on wood? If so.. what should I use? Should I clean with water and then "bake" them in the oven to kill possible bacteria? Your advice on all matters is alway greatly appreciated!

IndianaCorn

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread