CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first year breeding

Old 03-15-2022, 08:10 AM   #21
inu009
whoops, reversed the pictures

Old 03-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #22
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by inu009 View Post
Oh her normal interval before I started pairing was a jumbo mouse every two weeks. Since January 1st, I've been feeding a large mouse weekly.

This was her in January
Attachment 198203

She's just starting a shed cycle so that could be why too, she gets really picky about eating during shed. Which also leads me to ask..this is way too soon for a pre-lay shed right? I thought it was about 5 weeks after first lock.
Looking at this photo, she looks a bit on the chunky side. The indent on her spine is the indication. 700 grams is pretty big for a Cornsnake.

Overweight females can be at risk for egg binding, because of the excess fat.
I would work on reducing her normal weight, for her health as well as to help with passing the eggs.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #23
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Looking at this photo, she looks a bit on the chunky side. The indent on her spine is the indication. 700 grams is pretty big for a Cornsnake.

Overweight females can be at risk for egg binding, because of the excess fat.
I would work on reducing her normal weight, for her health as well as to help with passing the eggs.
Thank you! I always think maybe she's on the bigger side, but when I convince myself it's fine lol. I will definitely put on her a diet. Every year she goes off feed in May and June, but since she actually was bred this year she may eat. I think I'll lay off the jumbo's and stick to large mice.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #24
inu009
So after I introduced the humid box she abandoned it. After adding the second bag of moss and letting it warm up a little, she's been in there since last night. I really wanted her to get familiar with the humid box so she can lay her eggs there.

Name:  IMG_4198.jpeg
Views: 174
Size:  188.5 KB

Old 03-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #25
Frank Pinello
Just an observation. This may not be necessary at this point for this occurrence, but I would fill your egg laying box to the top with moss. My decades of experience has seen that females prefer tight spaces to lay eggs and tend to lay eggs a few days earlier in tight packed moist substrate.
Want to add that your doing a great job and good luck!

Old 03-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #26
Caryl
I'll second Frank. Fill 'er up with moss and your girl will hopefully fill 'er up with eggs soon. And great job! And good luck!

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #27
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Just an observation. This may not be necessary at this point for this occurrence, but I would fill your egg laying box to the top with moss. My decades of experience has seen that females prefer tight spaces to lay eggs and tend to lay eggs a few days earlier in tight packed moist substrate.
Want to add that your doing a great job and good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
I'll second Frank. Fill 'er up with moss and your girl will hopefully fill 'er up with eggs soon. And great job! And good luck!

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks guys! I definitely wanted to put as much moss in there as possible, but finding a big bag of moss on amazon has been a pain. Every time I order I keep getting these little bags lol. Right there is two bags of moss. And I was saving the two I have left in case she pooped in there lol. I'm going to stop at Lowes tomorrow and see if I can get a big bag.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:33 PM   #28
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Absolutely! She is looking for a SAFE place to lay her eggs, so burrowing into or under something is what she would like as a nesting place.

Use dampened peat moss if you can't find sphagnum moss. That will work just fine.

BTW, if you are using a large water dish, replace it with a small one. Sometimes these dummies will stick their head in the nesting box but have the tail draped into the water dish and lay the eggs there. Ask me how I know...

Old 03-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #29
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Absolutely! She is looking for a SAFE place to lay her eggs, so burrowing into or under something is what she would like as a nesting place.

Use dampened peat moss if you can't find sphagnum moss. That will work just fine.

BTW, if you are using a large water dish, replace it with a small one. Sometimes these dummies will stick their head in the nesting box but have the tail draped into the water dish and lay the eggs there. Ask me how I know...
Yep already switch the water dish to a mug. Once she sheds, I'll give her a look over, also thinking about attempting to pair one more time to make 100% sure. I have bad luck and with my luck this would be her pre-ovulation shed lol.

But while she's out, I will pack that lay box with as much moss will fit.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:00 PM   #30
inu009
I *think* I'm starting to see of that pyramiding that's supposed to happen when carrying eggs.

Name:  IMG_4224.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  45.7 KB

Since this photo was taken she's left the humid box, so I'm desperately waiting for amazon to deliver my block of peat moss, so I can get it saturated and added to the box. She still hasn't shed yet, she usually spends time in her hot hide before she sheds and that's where she is now so I'm expecting she'll shed either tonight or tomorrow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google