CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first year breeding

Old 03-30-2022, 07:58 AM   #61
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
One week since her pre-egg laying shed is not unusually long. My bet she will lay within 3 days. Can’t wait to read your post announcing egg laying has occurred.
We’ll hand out cigars and pop open some champagne!
Yes! And I can finally relax lol

Old 03-30-2022, 08:36 AM   #62
inu009
I should really say, I can finally relax for a few weeks while the eggs are incubating lol, pipping time will probably (definitely) bring new anxieties.

Getting babies to eat for the first time will be.....fun. I think I'm going to go straight to braining the first try.

But let's not count the eggs before they're even laid.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:06 AM   #63
Caryl
Lol sounds like you've got it about right.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #64
Caryl
Lol sounds like you've got it about right on the relaxation. Truthfully though, most babies eat without trouble. It's just that the ones you usually hear/ read about are the challenging sort.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2022, 04:57 PM   #65
inu009
We're at 24 hours straight in the nest box. So tomorrow morning at lights on (7 am) I will check on her)

Old 03-30-2022, 06:13 PM   #66
hypnoctopus
Yep, I agree that the majority of babies will eat frozen thawed off the bat. My first clutch, all 16 babies ate perfectly from the first feed onward. My second clutch, if I'm recalling correctly, had a few that refused their first meals, but took their second. And that clutch had one undersized baby who was much more of a pain to get eating but he did eventually get there. And you can always come back here for advice if you end up with any non-feeders!

Old 03-30-2022, 07:03 PM   #67
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Yep, I agree that the majority of babies will eat frozen thawed off the bat. My first clutch, all 16 babies ate perfectly from the first feed onward. My second clutch, if I'm recalling correctly, had a few that refused their first meals, but took their second. And that clutch had one undersized baby who was much more of a pain to get eating but he did eventually get there. And you can always come back here for advice if you end up with any non-feeders!
I tend to have bad luck, so I cant count on things going smoothly, but here's to hoping lol

Old 03-30-2022, 08:58 PM   #68
inu009
Speaking of bad luck, the sensor I was using to record the temperature of the egg box just malfunctioned I'm trying to fix it right now.

I mean the thermostat I'm using also records the temperature and logs it but only for short intervals...

Old 03-30-2022, 09:41 PM   #69
inu009
Got it working again, phew...

Old 03-30-2022, 09:48 PM   #70
Frank Pinello
I don’t believe you’ll relax after the eggs arrive. You will probably be anxious about......
Is the humidity too low, the one egg on top is still indented?..
Is the substrate too wet or dry?
Is that fungus on one of the eggs?
Is the temp right?
Did I accidentally turn the eggs when I moved them?
Mom looks really skinny...will she recover?
And so on.
I still sometimes get thoughts thought after a couple of decades doing this year after year. But the first clutch can be worrisome even though good eggs seldom go bad unless they are really neglected.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google