CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

scale rot.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
joedr
scale rot.

I am probably worrying about nothing (as normal) but my snake has not eaten for about 4 weeks and had a bad shed last time. when he bends the skin shrivels up a bit around the neck and there are some scales whick are creased. also and some look grey/brownish.
a few scales have come off (only the top layer, not the whole scale)

i dont know if it is skin rot. could the snake be dehydrated ( i still see the snake drinking) or could it just because he has lost weight from not eating.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
CAV
Unless your enclosure is continuously wet, it isn't rot

A snake not eating for 3-4 weeks isn't necessarily a big problem. You do need to try and figure out why he isn't eating.

The bad shed needs to be addressed quickly. Moisten a paper towel and rub down your snake. This will help remove the old scales.

If you think that your snake is dehydrated then give him a soak in warm water. (This will also soften up any remaining skin from the shed.)

Old 03-18-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
joedr
Thanks.

I have already done the thing with the towel and the old skin looks like it all come off. i also have moist cloth in one of his hides.

i think the snake is not eating because it is this time of the year. but i read something about them being hydrated and the symptom of mine is similar.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:45 AM   #4
CornCrazy
It sounds to me as if you do still have some retained skin from his "bad" shed. I would place a moist hide in his enclosure.

Also, from previous pictures of your snake, he looked a bit overweight. This can cause some "crease" marks on them as well.

And, it IS possible for a snake to get a bacterial skin infection even if the tank is not constantly wet. (Sorry CAV...I don't mean to contradict you...but I have treated several cases at work). Do you have access to any 2% Chlorhexidine Solution (Nolvasan)? It is REALLY good for treating mild skin infections. You would mix 1 part nolvasan with 20 parts water and let the snake soak in it. You just want enough in the bowl for the snake's "infected" area to be soaking. You do not have to soak his whole body. If he ingests a little of it, it will not hurt him, however. Chlorhexidine is used in many dental products. I actually use it to periodically treat the mouth of one of my snakes. She has a minor developmental problem with her mouth that makes her more prone to getting infections.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
CAV
QUOTE]Sorry CAV...I don't mean to contradict you...but I have treated several cases at work[/quote]

Your right Terri. I should have used the words "probably isn't" or "more than likely isn't" it that sentence. I didn't intend to infer that scale rot wasn't possible.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
joedr
Thanks for that advise. i will do this is if possible, the only problem is. over here in the uk there is no product called nolvasan. i dont want to go to my petshop as i dont trust them .

do you know of any other substances that could be used (or the name of the one your talking about that can be purchased over here.)

cheers

Joe

Old 03-19-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
CornCrazy
I don't know what else it might be called. The active ingredient is 2% Chlorhexidine. You may have to call around to see if you can find it. Lots of farmer's use it here in the states. I'd say if it is available in the UK, you may be able to find it at a farm supply store. Here is a link to a generic version of it: http://commerce.omahavaccine.com/sin...y.cfm?id=13366

I am not sure if they would be willing to ship overseas, or not. You could always check with them.

As for something else you could use...a surgical iodine or betedine solution would also work. You would mix it up a little weaker than the nolvason, though.

CAV,
Thanks for understanding that I wasn't trying to be difficult! I would say that it is probably not a full-blown case of scale rot, but a bacterial infection is still something to consider.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:30 AM   #8
sumguy
Thanks for the link Terri. Was just about to order some from another online seller for $30/gal.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:33 AM   #9
joedr
Thanks for the help.

i soaked the snake in warm water last night and the scales have losened up even more.

still worried about the non eating issue though. i am going to try feeding again today

cheers
Joe

Old 03-20-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
CornCrazy
Quote:
Originally posted by sumguy
Thanks for the link Terri. Was just about to order some from another online seller for $30/gal.
Glad to be of some help. I actually use the chlorhexidine for cleaning/disinfecting my cages and accessories, as well as for cleaning minor wounds and skin irritations. It is awesome stuff! I like that it doesn't have to be rinsed out of the cages. It's much faster than using bleach, and does a great job!

Good luck Joe! I hope he eats for you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google