CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

incubator power cut

Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
bluemarble
incubator power cut

power cut for 15 hours last night, temperature as low as 19,5C*(66.2.F) 2- 3 weeks into incubation...this really sucks!!! :-/ any chance they'll make it?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Nanci
I think they will be okay. I would be much more worried about a heat spike. Please let us know!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
bluemarble
tanke you

I will light the eggs and wait a few of weeks and light them again to to see if the embryo has grown. I will do a update.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
AliCat37
I wouldn't rely on candling the eggs to see if the embryos have grown. As long as the eggs don't start going bad (you can tell), then I'd leave them.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
HerpsOfNM
keep the incubator closed for now and allow your temps to gradually rise back.

By keeping the incubator closed you will allow temps to remain stable. Give things a week so that you avoid any temperature spikes and then just visually check the eggs. If everything looks good, leave them be and wait for your hatching date.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Chromatic Corns
They should be fine, it's not like nature never does this to them. Bringing them back to heat too fast would be more detrimental in my opinion. So bring the heat back up slowly

Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
dave partington
There are known, recorded instances of reptiles laying a clutch, winter setting in, and their eggs not hatching until the following Spring. As others have mentioned, better a cool drop then a heat spike. Some breeders even prefer cool incubation.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
bluemarble
Thanks for good answers. I followed your advices, but today I gave in to the expectations and candled some of the eggs. Just the few at the top, so I did not move the eggs or disturb them. I saw movement inside the eggs. They hatch in a few weeks time. So today, I am happy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
incubation, temperature