CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Astrild, interesting Caramel Stripe

Old 02-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #1
Caryl
Astrild, interesting Caramel Stripe

This little girl is Astrild. She was produced in my 2021 clutch by Odin (caramel ghost stripe het amel) and Tulip (amel stripe het anery, caramel. There was one other caramel stripe in the clutch, a male whose coloring was darker, like other caramel stripe babies I've produced. Astrild was different. She was nowhere nearly as light as ambers or amber stripes I've produced, but something was different. Looking at her now, I'm still scratching my head. These are current pics. I'll also post some hatchling shots.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Old 02-04-2022, 10:11 AM   #2
Caryl
This is the male caramel stripe sibling, whom I sold.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
Caryl
And these are Astrild. Name:  Screenshot_2022-02-04-09-01-33-1~2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  103.4 KB

Old 02-04-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
hypnoctopus
Interesting. She almost looks like she's in blue in those first pictures.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
Caryl
I've thought that too! She's actually freshly shed in those. I've never seen a dilute caramel stripe but she's kinda what I'd expect one might look like. Not that I expect her parents to both be carrying an unsuspected gene for dilute, lol.

The blurry photo here is Astrild at about 1 month. (Sorry for poor quality, I had a tech crash a few months ago and lost some stuff.. ) She had already diverged quite a bit from her brother when he left for his new home. I had a few pics of them together but I can't locate any.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #6
Caryl
I spoke too soon! Checked an old sim card. They're blurry, I couldn't get the noodles to be still. They also had flash. Still, they show a definite difference. Name:  Screenshot_2022-02-04-09-44-54-1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  37.2 KB

Old 02-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #7
Caryl
One more of Astrild on the same day as the sibling pics, natural light. I'll add to this thread as she grows. Thoughts and observations welcome! Thanks for looking.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
I don't think I've seen dilute caramel before either. But I think amber is definitely an option, especially since one parent is homozygous hypo.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:33 PM   #9
Caryl
Thanks for the thought. Yes, she has me wondering if Tulip is het hypo and I have never known it. I have bred these parents together before, with no eyebrow raising results. Of course, that doesn't mean Mr. Murphy wasn't involved. One of the male butter stripes in this clutch was noticeably lighter than the other butter stripes, which I put down to individual variation.

If I were only seeing Astrild now, I'd peg her amber for sure. As a new baby, she seemed way too dark for that. The amber/amber stripe neonates I've had looked much lighter. I dunno. :shrug:

Old 02-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #10
Caryl
Had the youngsters out for feeding and weighing today and took the time to get a couple of ventral shots of Astrild. She's got some suffusion, which is not unusual. She's also developing some black speckles, which is not usual. You might also be able to note that her colors are taking on a bit of the greenish tint seen in some caramel lines.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google