CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Nanci's SnickerSnakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Nanci's SnickerSnakes Welcome to SnickerSnakes- where the pretty snakes are! I love striped cornsnakes in red, white, purple, peach and pink. Foundation stock, breeding plans, and hopefully hatchling news!

Grilling!!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Nanci
Grilling!!

So, I am eating Paleo diet as a major lifestyle change. Which means I have cut out all grains, dairy, sugar, potatoes and legumes. So out with the frozen dinners and in with fresh meat and veggies!

I bought a couple new grills- a Cuisinart Griddler Junior (love) for inside and a Charbroil Electric Patio Grill for outside. I was sick and tired of the old gas grill just not having the strength to cook anything. I wanted to plug it in and know it works.

So far I've cooked steaks one night, and now pork tenderloins! I spoiled myself and bought a wireless grill thermometer after reading hundreds of reviews on Amazon. It's simple to use and I love it so far!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Nanci
So after feeding 20 snakes tonight, I went to sit out at the Water Garden, grill my pork tenderloin, read a magazine, play some Words With Friends, feed the Sarassas, listen to the frogs...Perfect evening!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Nanci
Here's the little grill. See my little grill? It has it's own custom-fit cover, too. Now I just need to move it closer to the porch light! But with the thermometer (I've never had one before- I'm amazed!!) I don't have to be cutting meat open to see if it is done yet. So grilling with a headlamp is all right!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Nanci
I marinated the pork all day in a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, and then grilled it for about 28 minutes, basting it with a sauce I made from red wine vinegar, a Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon blend wine, raspberry jam and salt and pepper. It looks like a lot for one person, but I'll be taking it for lunch all week instead of eating Wendys and other junk food at work. Mmmm!!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Nanci
Okay! Sliced and tast-tested! It may be the best pork tenderloin ever!! The original recipe called for white wine vinegar and orange marmalade, that would probably be excellent, too.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
headly1994
good job now im hungry

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Shmoges
nom nom nom

Old 02-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
susang
Yum that looks sooo good and you didn't kill it on the grill (as in not well done).

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
ratsncorns
That looks... amazing. I am a terrible cook, I have no cooking sense whatsoever. I want to try th Paleo diet so will be phasing in a couple meals a week and weaning myself onto it. Tonight is pork chops with a side of fresh veggies. Yours looks sooo much better!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
desertanimal
Yum. That's looks amaaaaazing.

I don't eat any kind of special diet--just what I want when I want--but I don't eat any pre-prepared foods. (Except for when I sometimes buy Breyer's all-natural ice cream on sale, bc it's actually way cheaper than making it, and I don't actually make homemade pasta, I just buy that high protein pasta.)

I think even just not eating anything pre-prepared probably makes a big difference in a number of ways. One, you know exactly what you're eating because you put it together. Two, you control your serving sizes and probably make them smaller than they make them in packages. Three, if I want to eat something "bad" like cookies or pizza, I have to make it from scratch. That cuts down on the number of times I eat either because I'm too lazy, too hungry to wait long enough for pizza dough to rise, or don't have all the ingredients on hand and don't want to go out to get them. If I had pre-made snackish things in the house, those obstacles wouldn't be there. If I want something badly enough to go to all the trouble to make it, I also don't feel any guilt about eating it by the time I've done so.

Another good thing is that even if you still eat meat and cheese, it's way cheaper than pre-made food.

I have a few recipes I really love that are low-carb or pretty low-carb:
1) a veggie chili, which does have beans and tomato sauce, so it's only pretty low carb
2) chicken tikka--super easy
3) a really great chicken or tuna (fresh) asian salad
4) this burger. Seriously. I may never eat another burger out ever again. I don't bother with a bun and don't miss it.

Here's to good homemade eats!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google