CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Feeding Questions

Old 05-07-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
KaijuNellie
Feeding Questions

Hey,

I recently got my Baby Cornsnake. I was told it needed to eat after two days of being left alone. I have a card that has its last feeding date (April 28) and now it's May 7th. I have been unable to get him to eat. Should I leave him alone for a few more days and try again? I know adults can go for a while without food, but what about a baby? (according to the pet store, a just a few weeks old. Ate twice).

Anyways to entice him to eat?

Old 05-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
KaijuNellie
Correction: I'm a day off on everything. I attempted to feed last night/this morning. He last at on the 27th, not 28th. I like that they gave me a card with this info.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Frank Pinello
If it has been that long it should be hungry.
Reasons why it may not eat are (1) still stress from its new environment (make sure it has plenty of hiding places, (2) in shed, it body is preparing to shed and some of my corns refuse at this time, (3) temps not right, temps should be mid to low 80s, and (4) how you present the pinky mouse, did they feed them a live pinky mouse or pre-frozen thawed pinky mouse, in its cage or outside it cage in a feed tub, overnight or during the day.
Some Baby corns can be on and off with feeding until they figure things out.
Good. Luck.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:08 AM   #4
KaijuNellie
All signs point to stress, and if not for the fact that it had been a week, I would have waited longer before trying to feed him.

I laid the food in front of his hide. He's been eating frozen/thawed just fine.

My big question is how long can a baby go without food, because I think it would be best to wait a few days, like five or so, and try it again, but I want to make sure he'll be okay.

If he wasn't baby I wouldn't be concerned; never had a baby before. Only adult garter snakes who ate like champs.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:25 AM   #5
Shiari
I've had freshly hatched babies take up to a month to start eating. A week won't do one in.

Don't offer food more often than every 3 days or that itself can stress them out. Feed at night. Confine the snake to a small container with air holes or a paper bag with the pinky and leave it alone for 12 hours.

You can try braining the f/t pink or dunking it for a few seconds in near boiling hot water until it's white and rubbery and then immediately putting it in with the baby.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
KaijuNellie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
I've had freshly hatched babies take up to a month to start eating. A week won't do one in.

Don't offer food more often than every 3 days or that itself can stress them out. Feed at night. Confine the snake to a small container with air holes or a paper bag with the pinky and leave it alone for 12 hours.

You can try braining the f/t pink or dunking it for a few seconds in near boiling hot water until it's white and rubbery and then immediately putting it in with the baby.

I'll try this, and that sets my mind at ease, I have plenty of info on adults going without food, but no babies.

So I'll pick up a could ziploc containers from work and paper bags and try it again on Monday or Tuesday.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google