CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Uvb and lighting question

Old 09-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
Newowner89
Uvb and lighting question

So I have officially been converted to the heat mat way of thinking. However my original plan was to heat with a UTH and establish the day/night cycle with a uvb lamp. I have seen countless arguments of uvb being needed vs it might be needed vs there is no point. Originally I planned to use it since it didn’t seem like it could hurt at all and I needed a light anyway. However, the more we look into actually getting a corn the more it seems my family is leaning towards an albino morph. This has me thinking that the uv light may actually not be the best for an albino animal. The main argument for uvb always seems to be it matches nature but that doesn’t hold well with albino animals as they typically do not survive well in nature (any species of animal). I was hoping to get other people’s thoughts on this when related to albino morphs.

If uvb isn’t the best option does anyone have good recommendations for a non heat non uvb light for a day night cycle? I see led is typically recommended but with led strips being so common in just about everything now a days a search for led lights returns a crazy number of results so something a little more specific that people have had success with would be great.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
Joanna_H
I use a heating mat but I also have a sun light level UVB tube in there for a day/night cycle. They don't really need UVB but it won't hinder them. I just used a bulb that puts out the same as the sun for my day/night cycle as it's just replicating more of their environment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google