CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Do snakes yawn???

Old 08-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
girlbugg
Do snakes yawn???

I went in to check on my snakes, and Heidi was just laying there with her mouth wide open. Is that normal?? I thought something was wrong with her so I gently tapped on the glass, and she shut her mouth. She had not been fed for a few days, so I know it was not that.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #2
Plissken
That doesn't sound normal. Snakes do yawn, but a yawn only lasts a second or two.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
Hypancistrus
I've heard that a constantly gaping mouth can be a sign of infection, mouth rot, or other diseases. So maybe examine her mouth carefully, or even take her to a reptile vet (or at least call and consult with yours!)

Old 08-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
stuart
Its not a yawn as such. The "yawn" to click their mouths back in place after eating a meal. Disloacting their jaws to swallow it, and then "yawning" to put them back together if you like.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Plissken
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart
Its not a yawn as such. The "yawn" to click their mouths back in place after eating a meal. Disloacting their jaws to swallow it, and then "yawning" to put them back together if you like.
Actually, snakes do yawn for no reason, not neccessarily after a meal. I've seen both my snakes yawn while roaming their tanks. Royal pythons especially can yawn for no apparent reason.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Alsoknownas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken
Actually, snakes do yawn for no reason, not neccessarily after a meal. I've seen both my snakes yawn while roaming their tanks. Royal pythons especially can yawn for no apparent reason.
Yes, mine does as well. I'm not so sure it could be called a yawn then, but it does only last for a few seconds.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
PnyKlr
My snow does a lot of "jaw-stretching" (or yawning) before she's due to shed.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
girlbugg
Thanks for all of the advise. I did feed her last night, and she ate with no problem at all. After she had finished eating while her mouth was open I looked inside of it, and I did not see anything strange. I will keep an eye on her anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google