CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

I Got to Hold Her!

Old 08-22-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
Beothon Lover
Talking I Got to Hold Her!

Ok i don't know if this is the right forum to post this on but i'm so happy i just wanted to post it.

Now this may not be a big deal to some of the big breeders on this site but i very happy with this.

Well I'll start from the begining. I got Terra from a local herp shop(called Tails N' Scales, people on this sight from Kansas should know of it) it a really good place and the owner takes really good care of the reptiles(and fish) in the store. She is 9wks(give or take a week) shes a normal het amel motley, I've had her for going on 10 days now(got her the 12th of this month) after a week of having her i fed her a pinky( on the 19th) and gave her 48 hours to digest her meal and then today 45 or so minutes ago i held her for 10 to 15 minutes...i was paranoid about it so much that i was wearing latex doctor gloves so if she bit i wouldn't feel it(i know i doesn't hurt..she has bit me before) if she decided to bite me....So after catching her since she thought if escaped she outside of her tub that i wouldn't be able to get her..i was holding her(she only got half way out of her tub before i picked her up)

After a couple minutes of her squirming around like crazy and me freaking cause i kept thinking she was going to bite me...we both calmed down..she slithered over my hands and inbetween my fingers and i just sat down and happily watched her, my dad thinks that since she couldn't smell my hands through the gloves is why she calmed down...i don't know if thats true but it helped me a bit and i think her too

Ok done rambling...i just wanted to share my happy moment with the people on this site.

Beothon Lover

Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
Plissken
You posted like six of these!! How on earth did you manage that?

Old 08-22-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Beothon Lover
my comp is crazy thats how it been on the fritz and crashed a couple minutes after i posted...i guess it likes to post more times then it should

Old 08-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Cegninedorf
Congrats on holding your snakey-ums. I felt the same thrill each time I was able to pick up my snake & hold him (I'm pretty sure he's a him now...) -- and I still feel that thrill. We play peek-a-boo a lot...he'll poke his little head out (he's about 3-4 mos old, 14.5" long) of wherever he is (plant, hide, substrate), watching me, and then we'll watch each other for a little bit, and then he'll dart right back into his hiding spot. And then a min later, his little head is back out again... He's a funny little guy.

I haven't been bitten yet, but I'm wondering if maybe you were bitten because of some scent on your hand? I always try to make sure that my hands are clean first so that I have a "neutral" scent -- and therefore, no motivation to bite (from my side of things, that is). I'm not worried about being bitten, though, because my geckos have thought my finger to be a mealworm already & what caught me more was the surprise of it, not the pain (and it didn't hurt at all)...it hurt more to be bitten by my hamster with his sharp front teeth. (Or, by my little sister when we were kids...she doesn't bite me any longer, thankfully...)

I also tried checking on deleting posts for you -- and I checked on deleting some of my previous posts just to see if I could do it. I can edit them, but I don't seem to be able to delete them, in the case that your computer sends multiple posts again. Maybe open 2 windows of cornsnakes.com & with one window, do the posting & with the other, refresh it to check to see if the post actually posted...? I do that on occasion (mostly because I'm a Virgo & can be rather perfectionist...)...just an idea.

Again, congrats! With time, your snakey-ums will be hanging out on your shoulders, kicking back with you.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
Beothon Lover
Cegninedorf- i know about hamster bites...i would rather be bit by a snake then a hamster any day...and after the first handling session i took off the gloves...and so far so good shes calmed down a lot. Also I've seen you on reptilerooms.com..i have a different screen name there its DreamingOfDragons. good luck on getting that Anery! I'm trying to talk my dad into letting me get a bloored or a sunglow motley. i do the window thing next time i try to post a thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 AM   #6
Cegninedorf
hey :)

Hey, Beothon Lover

I did begin by posting on reptilerooms.com, but then I found this forum shortly afterward, and I really haven't gone back to it. I've gotten such great, informative advice & answers to questions, not to mention the timeliness of it all, as well. I don't dislike reptilerooms.com, I just think it's incredibly overwhelming...

My lil'anery arrived today. He's absolutely adorable & my students will go ga-ga over him... I hope to post a photo soon. Thanks for mentioning it!

Good luck with getting your snakes, as well! (I waited to get almost 99% of my own pets until after I moved out of home...lots of freedom then. )

Christina

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google