CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Fluker's moss

Old 08-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
redwillow
Fluker's moss

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about a product called Flukers moss they sell at PetsMart and similar places? I used it in my water dragon viv once before. While I liked the product because it help regulate the humidity and my dragon loved playing in it, he developed an eye infection soon after. The infection also coincided with a shed. Water dragons sometimes get eye infections when they shed. Do you think it was the moss that possibly caused it? I would like to use the moss with my snakes that I'm getting tomorrow if you guys think it is safe. I plan to use aspen for the majority of the substrate. The moss is great if you need a little extra humidity and want to mist it every couple of days.

Tomorrow is my big day. I want to adopt one or two baby cs's at the Midwest Reptile Show in my home town of Indy. After reading this site for a couple of days I decided I would like a male and a female. I'm interested in biology and am an experienced reptile keeper. I think I'm ready breed something. When they become mature I'm going to go for it.

This is a link to the moss.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2030043&Ne=2

Old 08-26-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
JasonS
If the stuff is just peat moss with name on for marketing, I don't think it would be the moss. Peat moss has acidic properties that actually help fight bacteria. If the lizards are pron to eye infections during the shedding process, then that and the higher humidity probably contributed to it. Just cut back on the misting of the cage. Corns don't need alot, but during shedding some moist peat moss would help.
Congratulations on the corns! Do you know what you are going to get?

Old 08-26-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
redwillow
Thanks for the info. I just went and took a look at the moss and it looks like pete moss to me. I didn't know it helped fight bacteria. That's a bonus. Tomorow I would like to get an Abott okeetee, a caramael or an Arney in that order. I would like to get two snakes total so if I can find the okeetee or the caramel they will be my first priority. I'm almost positive I can atleast find the Arney if all else fails. If I don't find one of the others I'm just going to be patient because there are a couple big shows coming up in the next 5 weeks.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
JasonS
Breeding an okeetee and a caramel will yield normals het caramel. If you are not looking into getting special morphs with your breeding then you picked a couple of beautiful morphs. Okeetee is my favorite by a long shot, and probably most people in corn snakes. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
redwillow
I'm still tyring to catch up with all the cs lingo. I'm not sure exactly what the morphs are. I know I prefer okeetee type patterens as opposed to lined or solid colored snakes. Can you explain in it some more in laymans turns please?

Old 08-27-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
ickle_moose
An okeetee is a normal corn which has been selectively bred for wide black well-defined borders around it's saddle markings. They are brown/orange/red and black. An Abbotts (sp?) okeetee comes from a specific line of snakes.

With corn looks you have a variety of factors. These include: patterning (so an okeetee has the saddle, 'natural' pattern. You can also have 'motley' pattern, which means regular circles running down their back and un-checked belly, and 'striped), morph (which basically means colour scheme, so a caramel is yellow/toffee, snow is white/pink, anery is black/white/grey), and genetics (so if you have a normal corn that is 'het' for the bloodred morph it can look different to a normal corn that is not 'het' for it). If a snake is het for something then that means if you breed it to a snake which is het for the same thing, you get babies that look nothing like mum and dad.

I think when you used the word 'okeetee' you were thinking of the saddle pattern, not necessarily the colour of the snake, yes?

So if you're ever thinking of breeding in the future and want specific results, that affects your choice of snake. For example, if you want to breed Anery motleys, you'd need 2 snakes who are het anery and het motley. Then it can get fun choosing your snakes as for example if you chose an amel het anery and motley, and an anery het amel and motley, you'd get amels, anerys and snow motleys.

Head on over to the genetics sub-forum for more info, and takle the FAQ's Good luck with your snakes!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
BeckyG
Even better...go to South Mountain and look at the pictures.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google