CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Home for a hatchling corn

Old 08-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Islandzoo
Home for a hatchling corn

Would this be ok for a hatchling corn?

Faunarium

or something else? I've been advised against putting a baby in a full size vivariaum... Any suggestions of what I should use would be helpful. Plus I assume I put in heat mat etc just the same - assume it won't melt the plastic (if it did it would burn the snake anyway wouldn't it)

Old 08-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Dave123
The Faunariam should be fine for it. The heat mat should not burn the plastic but make sure you have a small one so he can go to one side if he is too hot.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
Jessicat
Looks like a good home to start out with. The nice thing about that enclosure is when you do upgrade to a larger tank you can use it for feeding.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 AM   #4
Islandzoo
That's what I was thinking.

In the mean time I can use a large margerine tub or icecream tub for feeding? (the big square ones)

Old 08-25-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
Dave123
Ya those should be fine.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
yvez9
that looks like a good idea

and if you ever keep fish or other reptiles, they're great for keeping crickets

Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Islandzoo
on second thoughts I'm thinking perhaps the next size up - 46 x 31 x 17 may be better - that one is very small and it will be hard to fit everything in - 2 hides and a water bowl (note those measurements are in CM not Inches)

Old 08-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
ickle_moose
Howdy

Ok, vivs: You can't have a viv that's too big, as long as there's plenty of options for your little one to hide in. They get freaked out if they find themselves in a massive (to them) area where they can't hide, as X predator might get it's claws/jaws/weird slimy bits on them. The bigger the viv, the more hides you should have in there (and the less you should expect to see your little one!) Heat mat should be big enough for them to coil themselves up over if they so choose, and should be closely regulated by a thermostat/ rheostat + thermometer partnership. You should have a thermometer in either case, but if you got with a rheostat rather than a thermostat it's even more essential.

Feeding enclosure: Smaller than their usual home (aka the viv) as you want to focus their attention on the food item. At the end of the day, this can be anything, as long as it fits the following requirements: there is an air flow (if you use a margarine tub punch holes in it), the snake feels secure enough to eat (some of my fussy eaters prefer opaque rather than transparent feed tubs), impregnable unless in the viv (I have mine in completely different tubs that aren't in the viv so must be escape proof, but if you put the feed tub in the locking viv this isn't so important) and containing no easily-eatable substrate (as in, don't put a little dish inside your viv with the pink on it as your snake will invariably drag the pink onto the substrate anyway. Pink covered in calci-sand=snake eating and getting blocked up with said sand). Ice-cream tub is fab for all of these as long as you punch some (non-escapeable) holes in it and have a paper towel for subsrate. (Even if they can't eat the paper towel, they still might poop. Scraping poop of an ice-cream tub = not fun)

If you're worried about melting plastic, you can always put something in-between; many here use tiles, cork, or newspaper. If you have a thermostat and put the probe directly above the heatmat it won't affect the temps but might avoid plastic-meltage.

Hope this helped!

Old 08-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Islandzoo
Thanks for that

I've not been able to find those faunariums locally and the postage price is as much as the tank on website !!

Rather than pay over the odds (although I will if it's neccessary to get the right viv of course) I thought about going to STaples or B&Q and finding a suitably sized plastic container with a lockable/secure lid, that we can just drill ventilation holes in or something - would something like that be ok, I don't know if other people use this kind of container?

The other option would be to buy a proper vivarium, just a small one but is there any point - I mean how soon will I need a larger one? when the snake is 'adult' I plan to pop him into a 3' vivarium anyway, it's just what I can put him in whilst he's small - I have no idea how quickly they grow.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
Kryos
From having personally had a yearling amel corn snake escape from the large-sized faunarium that was heavily duct-taped closed, I wouldn't recommend them. The "doors" on the top of the cage are really loose - I've even had them fall off a few times...basically an "escape express route" for a determined corn...It's FAR less expensive to just pick up a clear plastic bin of the appropriate dimensions, and then just drill or melt some holes (no wider than 3 mm or 1/8 of an inch!) and buy yourself a bunch of binder clips, with which to secure the lid. But then again, I am still relatively new to snake-keeping, but it's worked great for me so far! Good luck with selecting something that works for you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google