CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Post pics of your "snake room"!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 AM   #71
sweet~nichole~marie
So, here is mine . . . I tend to hit garage sales and scrounge what I can to try to save money so I can by more important things . . . like more snakes!

First, I have to say . . . .don't anybody give me crap about the books! ~LOL~ Some of my screen tops have thick edges, and a few of my snakes have actually pushed them up with cage clips on, so I use the heavy books to make sure they can't do that. I haven't found clips yet that fit them properly ~grins~

Ok, first shot from the doorway. I took over the office in our house (combined the guest room with the office) and made it into my snake room. My bf was surprisingly ok with this!

These white shelves were from an old workplace that was redoing the break room. They fit 10gal perfectly and the shelves are adjustable.

A little dresser/shelf combo I picked up at a garage sale. The drawers store all my random snake supplies, my scale is on top next to the praying mantis tank, and that shelf that currently has a few supplies on it will also hold 2 of my small bins side by side. So, as you can see, the modem and wireless router are still in here because the guest room does not have the jack for the internet and it wasn't worth it to pay them to crawl under our house and rewire it. Hopefully the heat in the room won't fry it eventually

These 2 racks I built. The tall skinny one was originally built before I had snakes, but I co-opted it for bins. I just wish I had made it a little longer or a little taller so 2 bins would fit on each shelf!

The larger rack I just built to hold the 40gal. I made sure to make the dimensions so that I could also put a 20gal and a bin on the shelf, or 3 bins side by side (I learned from the skinny tower!). That way I have lots of options for mixing sizes on the shelves.

Ok, this is another garage sale find. Here is the funny part about it: see that curtain? Behind it is an empty shelf. I have 2 snakes that refuse to eat unless they are behind the curtain, so each feeding day I put them in shoe boxes, put in their mice, then put them behind the curtain while I feed the rest. They are usually done by the time everyone else has eaten. If I try feeding them any other way, they refuse. They are such nuts ~LOL~ The bulletin board is the last thing left over from the office I need to move ~LOL~

So, there it is, my snake room. Not as uniformly pretty as some others, but it works for my needs. I may not build pretty furniture, but I wield a mean power saw and don't mind making my own stuff to suit my needs. ~LOL~ Maybe some day I will have something fancy, or just stick with the garage sales. After all, reduce, reuse, recycle!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #72
marshaelaine
That is my daughter - great job Nichole - I think she has done a great job, I am very proud of her and her snakes. She is the one who got me interested in snakes. I am sure that my husband is not very glad of it, because he hates snakes.
Although last night he said absolutely no more breeding our French Bulldogs until I am in better health. not sure when that will be, I have terrible asthma and am on oxygen 24/7. He said that he would rather I breed snakes than puppies.
I will try to get some pictures of my snake room, though I only have 13 snakes, but I am working on that also.
Thanks for reading,
Marsha

Old 06-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #73
Sweetseraph
Hey Nichole, your snake room is not too shabby at all! I think your set-ups are really nice looking. I am envious of anyone who has a whole room for their snakes. LOL

Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #74
wax32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet~nichole~marie View Post
So, there it is, my snake room. Not as uniformly pretty as some others, but it works for my needs. I may not build pretty furniture, but I wield a mean power saw and don't mind making my own stuff to suit my needs. ~LOL~ Maybe some day I will have something fancy, or just stick with the garage sales. After all, reduce, reuse, recycle!
I think your room is great. Nice stories that explain why every thing is like it is.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #75
wax32
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshaelaine View Post
That is my daughter - great job Nichole - I think she has done a great job, I am very proud of her and her snakes. She is the one who got me interested in snakes. I am sure that my husband is not very glad of it, because he hates snakes.
Although last night he said absolutely no more breeding our French Bulldogs until I am in better health. not sure when that will be, I have terrible asthma and am on oxygen 24/7. He said that he would rather I breed snakes than puppies.
I will try to get some pictures of my snake room, though I only have 13 snakes, but I am working on that also.
Thanks for reading,
Marsha
Sorry to hear about your bad asthma. I've never bred dogs, is it that much more work than snakes? Seems to me like it would be easier!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #76
sweet~nichole~marie
Thanks! I actually really like how it turned out. I do like how orderly the premade racks look (I am a bit anal and LOVE things to be neat and organized ) but as a fairly new teacher supporting my bf in grad school, I can't really afford them. But that is ok . . . I am pretty resourceful at repurposing! ~LOL~ I was a college student for 10 years (BS & Master's) so I have learned how to stretch a dollar!

@Sweetseraph - urmmm, I didn't really give my bf a choice ~LOL~ It went more like this "Honey, I'm turning the office into the snake room, grab the other end of the desk!" ~LMAO~

@Dave - The dogs produce a lot of hair and dander which is one reason it causes so many problems with her breathing. And it is A LOT of work.

You have to stay up during the birth in case there is a problem and you have to rush the female to the vet's for an emergency C-section. You have to monitor the pups and make sure they are all getting enough food and not being pushed aside. You have to constantly clean because they become eating/pooping machines. You have to feed them mash several times a day when they are started to wean themselves. Plus, think about trying to do all of this when your lungs are so constricted you can't even take a full breath!

Give me snake babies any day that only eat once every 5-7 days, pretty much takes care of themselves once out of the shell, doesn't usually need help getting out of the shell, and makes barely any mess at all!

Of course, having 100's of hatchlings to take care of can take a long time as opposed to 4-6 pups. . . . still, I think snakes are a lot easier ~grins~

@Mom - excellent. Make sure to bring that up now any times he complains about you getting another snake! "But David, you said you would rather I breed snakes than dogs!"

Sorry, that is a little off-topic.

I do feel very lucky that my bf didn't mind that I took over the office. It makes it much easier to heat instead of having to flex-watt each individual bin/tank. Plus, I am in the process of attaching a blocker-thing (not sure what to call it) to the bottom of the door so that if anyone escapes, they can't leave the room. I'll post a pic to show you once it is on. Today's project!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #77
marshaelaine
Thank you Nichole for explaining about the puppies - I agree with what Nichole said,
Marsha-mom

Old 06-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #78
Cattsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax32 View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad asthma. I've never bred dogs, is it that much more work than snakes? Seems to me like it would be easier!
OMG lol!! I've bred several litters of cocker spaniel puppies over the years... Puppies, are a nightmare! They're cute and squeaky and containable untill about 3 1/2 weeks old, then they start being alot of work. They start eating solid food, so three or four times a day you end up with 4-6 puppies covered in SLOP. THey poop where ever they want, so you're dealing with gross poop and pee puppy pads or newspaper once or twice a day otherwise they walk and roll and play in it. THen there is the fun of trying to herd a little or puppies out the door to play outside several times a day when your pant legs are more interesting (try walking with 6 cocker puppies attached to your pant cuffs!!)

We used to keep our pups till at least 10 weeks old and I tell ya by that time you are very VERY ready for them to go HOME lol.

Puppies, are a full time job, bar none the most work of all the critters I've bred. (Cats are easy too for the most part)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #79
wax32
Wow that does sound like a lot of work, you can keep it! We only have one dog and all of our 5 cats are fixed so no baby mammals here.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #80
Sweetseraph
Well, my "snake room" is just one rack. We built it ourselves (well, hubby built, I supervised) and it's our first attempt. It's pretty simple, but I'm quite happy with it. It's still a work in progress, but I finally finished melting all the holes today! I've started preparing the smaller bins for the 18 hatchlings I'm expecting pretty much any day now. I like that it's so versatile; each shelf can hold various combinations of bins. Currently I have 5 different tanks/bins throughout the house, so I will be happy to have everyone in one place once I move everyone in.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google