CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Post Your Viv!!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #81
krisjoask
Thanks. I can't believe they sell those things FOR SNAKES and our little friends can so easily get lost in them. Not cool.

his mouse was still in the tank this morning, so he didn't come out for a midnight snake. (I think the mouse probably just got too cold or something.)

Anyway - I guess I will do like the others have done and saw the end off of it to get him out.

If anyone has any advice on how to do this and NOT harm my snake....please let me know. I'm really scared to try and cut this thing apart, especially when I don't know exactly where he is IN the log. What other methods might be better?

Help!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #82
carnivorouszoo
Just go very slowly and do tiny lengths at a time and each time you stop try to pry the log apart. Since you are not sure where he is do very small bits, maybe cutting so you are actually removing bits each time you stop or at least every few times you stop. All the noise and motion may scare the snake right outta there so be careful and work over a tub or something that will limit how far the snake can go when he comes out.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #83
Haarstad
Cut in a circle all the way around it till you are almost cutting through it and then break it the rest of the way

Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #84
Jenber
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkeeteeMom View Post
Jenber, is this the shelving you have?
Sorry it took so long to respond! Yes, I have the shorter version of that shelving!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #85
krisjoask
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarstad View Post
Cut in a circle all the way around it till you are almost cutting through it and then break it the rest of the way
Thanks! That's what I'm going to do. It's killing me that I'm at work and won't be able to do any of this until 5 today! I want to know that my little pink man is ok.

When I thought he was gone last night, I realized just how attached I had gotten to him.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #86
Haarstad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjoask View Post
Thanks! That's what I'm going to do. It's killing me that I'm at work and won't be able to do any of this until 5 today! I want to know that my little pink man is ok.

When I thought he was gone last night, I realized just how attached I had gotten to him.

Oh i know the feeling, now i've gotta go clean the vivs

Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #87
SteelJawEmily
Before you cut into it, if you haven't already, try running some water over it. If he is a smart snake, he will come out of there without any hesitation, especially if the water is on the cool side.

If that doesn't work, you could try soaking it in an inch or two of water in a sink. But the thing I worry about that is if he really is stuck, then he could drown.

Just a thought

Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #88
krisjoask
Thumbs up

Ok....Perlman is out safely. I submerged the log in water and he came out right away.

Now, he's been fed and his chilling in his tank with the crap log removed.

If it were not for this forum, I wouldn't have known what to do.

Thanks, y'all.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #89
Haarstad
Congrats!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #90
SteelJawEmily
Sometimes I wish this forum had a "like" button lol

If you want to keep the log, get some aquarium acrylic or glue and fill the holes. Of course follow the directions as to how long to let it dry etc. But once it dries its good

Glad you got him out ok!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
setup, terrarium, vivarium