CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

2 snakes, 1 cage?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
VickyChaiTea
If you cannot afford a new cage or you don't have the space for another one, then you're not ready for another snake.

Snakes are not social, and suffer when kept communally. Is causes them stress, the specific amount varies from snake to snake. It is very common for snakes housed together to become ill, refuse food, regurgitate, and hurt each other due to stress. There are no good things to say about housing snakes together, and anyone who's done any research about the subject will say the same.

For the snakes sake, keep yours by him/herself.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
VickyChaiTea
Forgot to mention the very real possibility of cannibalism. Even if the snakes are the same size. It's more common with younger corns, too.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
patches152
i missed the part about the snakes not being the same age. with that being said, i wouldn't cage two snakes together if they weren't the same size and a bit older. all of the "horror story" pix someone referenced earlier were all showing very young snakes.

RE: skepticism towards my post, i just called my mom. apparently this pair isn't the same she had when i was a baby. this is a second pair, i didn't realize that she had gotten a second pair since the snakes live in her classroom (she's a 2nd grade teacher). these snakes are about 13 now, the other pair that i was referring to she had before i was born, and they were also a snow corn and a normal. hence my confusion. they're the exact same color. you're right, i'm wrong. bingo

Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
Allalaskan
I wasnt trying to sound snippy, I just was having a hard time believing they lived THAT long lol.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #15
patches152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allalaskan View Post
I wasnt trying to sound snippy, I just was having a hard time believing they lived THAT long lol.
no offense taken, i'm just a bit of a smartass and it tends to be a bit more noticable and abrasive, if you will, in my writing. but like my grandpa always told me, "it's better to be a smartass than a dumbass"

Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
Bartholomew
So, your mom got yet another pair of cornsnakes and has them together again??
Am I getting this clearly?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
patches152
Years ago now, but yeah. Once they're adults they're fine. As long as there is enough room to get away if they so choose. However, if one snake gets out (which occasionally happens) the remaining snake shows the signs of stress discussed. Namely, refusing to eat. But they show no signs of stress when they're together. If you do house em together, feed em separately.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
ZoologyGirl
Better safe than sorry is what I say.

Except during breeding time (if breeding) I don't see any reason to have snakes together, so I keep them separately. For my own peace of mind I'd rather not risk any possible stress or cannibalism.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #19
Christen
I would recommend for you to do the search for co-habbing snakes to, patches. Just to see why we say "NO!!" I am one of the few that do have a couple co-habbing tanks and I know in another post I explain how I do it but I would never say yes. It is better to be safe than sorry and many people that are asking this question have only had snakes for a short time and don't know what the stress signals look like. I surely would not want to tell them that it is ok to keep the snakes together knowing that it is possible that the snakes could eat each other.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #20
susang
There is no benefit to co-habbing, even older snakes. They are not in love, they are not a mated pair, simply they have been put in a circumstance they would not duplicate in nature. Except for mating and even then many people are observant and watch for stressors.
I choose to advise people to use search function, because they will then see more then one opinion.
When I first joined this forum there was a thread about an egg bound female that left a very lasting impression on me. I can pretty much gaurantee someone come spring will say egg bound female didn't know she could get pregnant or they weren't supposed to be male and female or, or, or.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google