CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

2 snakes, 1 cage?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #41
Shiari
Patches:

Every single picture you have of garter snakes does not get to count. You see garters do that as part of their mating strategy. That's a mating pile, not a "snakes are bestest friends with each other" pile.

The rattlesnake pile is most likely a brumation group, as they are known to pile out onto the rocks on sunny days.

The corns, as you said, were mating.

So, your pictures show squat.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #42
Iguanagirl8662
Patches- I cohabbed my snakes for years and fed live and I had the same argument with Starsevol about cohabbing and about fedding live. I never had a issues with my snakes for years till one day they mated and the female wasn't really big enough. After that it all went down hill. They started regurging and one got bit by the mouse. That's when I realized the people on here were right and they weren't trying to pick on me just trying to help. They get a little heated about it because they care so much for animals and don't want to see them put at risk. Sure you can keep snakes together and never have any issues, but that doesn't mean it's right and when something does go wrong it really goes wrong.

So to the OP, they are solitary animals and should be kept alone so buy another set up if you plan to get another.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #43
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguanagirl8662 View Post
Patches- I cohabbed my snakes for years and fed live and I had the same argument with Starsevol about cohabbing and about fedding live. I never had a issues with my snakes for years till one day they mated and the female wasn't really big enough. After that it all went down hill. They started regurging and one got bit by the mouse. That's when I realized the people on here were right and they weren't trying to pick on me just trying to help. They get a little heated about it because they care so much for animals and don't want to see them put at risk. Sure you can keep snakes together and never have any issues, but that doesn't mean it's right and when something does go wrong it really goes wrong.

So to the OP, they are solitary animals and should be kept alone so buy another set up if you plan to get another.
Oh yeah, we used to have some go-rounds, didn't we?
I knew eventually you would see the light though, and hoped that whatever caused you to change wasn't too catastrophic!
Missed you around here, by the way.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #44
Bartholomew
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches152 View Post
any tips, advice, suggestions, questions, love mail, hate mail, etc...it's all welcome...
Remember posting that when you introduced yourself? You should be letting these people help you. Trust me they're not doing it to annoy you. They want whats best for the poor snakes.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #45
Kronos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
Remember posting that when you introduced yourself? You should be letting these people help you. Trust me they're not doing it to annoy you. They want whats best for the poor snakes.
Patches wasn't asking for advice, he was responding to someone else's thread. Merely expressing a difference of opinion, which is a good thing on a discussion forum (believe it or not).

I decided to look up Kathy Love's opinion on cohabbing, and found it in the Husbandry FAQ. She seems to be ambivalent about it, saying that it's probably not a good idea, but that there are times when it can work. She said that she has cohabbed snakes on occasion. Then she goes on to give advice on how to do it successfully.

But more interesting is the following quote in this FAQ, about how some people can have success going against the "accepted practices".

Her Quote:
Some experienced keepers offering advice get into the "never" or "always" do or don't this or that. But I go more for "usually" something works better than another thing . But each circumstance is different. Keepers who have a little experience and actually think about the likely consequences of what they are doing (and how to deal with them) can often successfully do things that beginners or "non-thinkers" will do haphazardly and unsuccessfully. Listen to all good advice, and then make your own informed decision based on your own circumstances and judgment.

Good luck!
Kathy Love

Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #46
patches152
exactly. ever since i've joined here, to learn some new stuff...but also to share my first hand experiences, all i've seen is hate towards different thinking and scare tactics. it's pretty sad that a group with such "educated" and "experienced" users can't see past their own selfish opinions. you all want to ask for proof or reasons on why, well the OP asked if it was possible, i said yes it is possible. however, there are inherent risks involved, and i stated those risks clearly. point/counter point if you will. BUT the rest of you all decided to take an absolute stand saying that EVERY snake that is cohabitating will DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH...well, i got news for you. cannibalism is rare, and only happens in youth. sure stress is a possibility, but from the OCD psycho cat lady treatment of the snakes, it's possible to have stress with only one snake per habitat. there is inherent risk in everything you do. walking down the street is not safe if you consider that you could slip, fall, break your hip, an airplane could fall out of the sky donnie darko style and squash us all flat. doesn't stop me from walking down the street. everyone can take their own experiences, and weigh the risks individually. but don't say that you can NEVER house two snakes together because it will always end up bad.

this whole convo reminds me of debating whether god exists. you can't prove that he does exist, but you can't prove that he doesn't. at the end of the day, you can all do what you want. someone asked a question and i gave my opinion. you can disagree, but my opinion is still my own. it's founded on first hand experience and first hand experience of people i know and trust. based on your actions here in this discussion, along with your haste to jump to name calling and bashing, i will no longer accept the advice of most of you here. i just hope that your hate and fear mongering doesn't scare away a potential owner of a future snake, it is truly a great experience.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #47
Dreamsnake
I doubt that Patches will read this, but here I go. All new animals need to go through a quarantine stage of at least 6 months. By quarantine nothing from one snake touches anything intended for the other snake. So to answer the question of introducing a new snake to the established snake's habitat...do not do it for the sake of the pet's health. You will need a habitat for the new snake anyway. After the 6 month quarantine is over and you think it alright to see if they can play together nicely take that step when it comes. But can you explain to me how you know so much about reptiles to understand when they are stressed?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #48
Iguanagirl8662
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Oh yeah, we used to have some go-rounds, didn't we?
I knew eventually you would see the light though, and hoped that whatever caused you to change wasn't too catastrophic!
Missed you around here, by the way.
I missed being here lol and I did eventually see the light and thankfully it wasn't cause by anything catastrophic, nothing separating them couldn't fix.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #49
sciencechick
Not a snake expert at all and probably shouldn't be jumping in here, but what really stands out to me about this argument is that even if it isn't harmful (which there is real evidence to discuss, unlike the god argument you bring up, people have been observing thousands of these animals directly for years) what is the point?

Corn snakes don't take up a ton of space, and don't take a ton of work. Why is it so hard to separate them for the casual keeper? I can understand it more for breeders, but if you want a second snake but think its too much effort to get another set up that is probably a big signal that you may as well just wait.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #50
carnivorouszoo
Disclaimer: I am not an expert I can only speak on what I myself have seen.

Cohabbing is horrid! I took in a pair that were cohabbed for 13 years. The female came to me looking eggbound, with the help of a vet, and a lot of money I really did not have, found out she is consitpated and has a small case of scale rot which we are treating. She must be massaged and have swims 2 times a week. She is extremely lucky to be alive as the former owner had no clue how long she had been this way just that she looked like that "for some time". She is known to double clutch and I prey for no slugs this year as she has not recovered enough to survive producing any in my and my vet's oppinion. I have prepaid to put her down if she developes eggs as in his professional oppinion she would not survive laying or surgery to remove them. Her system is too torn up and traumatized. The vet is also watching her for going septic from the constitaption, another miracle that she is alive, as well as for RI, from being changed from Corn Cob bedding to paper. He doesn't know exactly how the change will affect her.

The male got VERY lucky, had a slight case of scale rot, but so far it has been beaten, we are still checking him at every handling though. He also has a couple fatty lumps that have come out in his slimming down that the vet says will never go away. Half his tail is gone, admitedly the former owners fault as she slammed a sliding door on him when she was surprised he tried to escape through an open door.

I am only posting a couple pics of the poor female to show what living that way did to her.

above was taken the day I brought her home.

The first below was taken December 2nd. The other was taken Jan 5th. I got her in November.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google