CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

2 snakes, 1 cage?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #51
VickyChaiTea
CarnivorousZoo! I'm glad to hear an update on those guys, I was wondering what happened to them! Is the female really just constipated or does she have fecoliths? Fecoliths are masses of solid waste that have become especially hard and dry, and could have to be removed surgically.

Have you asked the vet about using mineral oil or magnesium oxide? It can be injected via a tube to the stomach, and is an aid for constipation. The mineral oil can also be injected into a mouse and fed to the snake. But talk to your vet about it first, since they'll know what's best.

Patches152 has been proven wrong, and isn't handling it terribly well. Hopefully with some time they'll come back and change opinions. I hope this thread will help educate some individuals who feel like housing their snakes together, and show them that the risks are just too high to even consider it.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #52
Christen
OMGosh. I was wondering what happened to her too. I can't not believe that was all from poop. I wanted to cry when I originally saw the pics now I really want to cry for. Could you only imagine the pain she was going through. How is she looking now? Mineral Mice, I think is a good idea. Get that crap moving out of her faster.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #53
patches152
look, bottom line is this: someone asked IF corns can cohab, i said yes, but stipulated circumstances to avoid. i'm not saying i'm gonna do it. but i've seen it done, and i explained the first hand experience i've learned. there is no YES or NO answer, and that's where all of you have it wrong. it's a case by case basis, some snakes will do it, some won't. i haven't been proven wrong because i'm not wrong. i have a pair of corns that cohab, so it's possible. end of discussion. that's what the OP was asking. can it be done...and the answer is yes. you might disagree with it based on moral or bleeding heart crazy cat lady reasons, but it doesn't change the answer. if you don't want to do it, don't. nobody is twisting your arm. we can go round and round about this forever. so far we're at 53 posts with this one and we still have yet to find some common ground, so here it is:

can corns cohab?

yes; unless they are babies, are shy, stress easily or if you are concerned about infections or unplanned pregnancies. aside from those reasons (which all of those can be prevented with diligence) sure, go for it.

BOOM.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #54
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches152 View Post
look, bottom line is this: someone asked IF corns can cohab, i said yes, but stipulated circumstances to avoid. i'm not saying i'm gonna do it. but i've seen it done, and i explained the first hand experience i've learned. there is no YES or NO answer, and that's where all of you have it wrong. it's a case by case basis, some snakes will do it, some won't. i haven't been proven wrong because i'm not wrong. i have a pair of corns that cohab, so it's possible. end of discussion. that's what the OP was asking. can it be done...and the answer is yes. you might disagree with it based on moral or bleeding heart crazy cat lady reasons, but it doesn't change the answer. if you don't want to do it, don't. nobody is twisting your arm. we can go round and round about this forever. so far we're at 53 posts with this one and we still have yet to find some common ground, so here it is:

can corns cohab?

yes; unless they are babies, are shy, stress easily or if you are concerned about infections or unplanned pregnancies. aside from those reasons (which all of those can be prevented with diligence) sure, go for it.

BOOM.
1. Who is the bleeding heart crazy cat lady you keep talking about.

2. You going to put a condom on that snake?

3. You are exceedingly rude and your tone is way out of line.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #55
patches152
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
1. Who is the bleeding heart crazy cat lady you keep talking about.

2. You going to put a condom on that snake?

3. You are exceedingly rude and your tone is way out of line.
Sorry, mom. My tone is merely in response to the personal attacks. Crazy cat lady isn't anyone in particular, but a metaphor for the overprotective mood that exists here. Wait, is there such thing as snake condoms? If so, problem solved!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #56
VickyChaiTea
Are you serious? We've proven that keeping corn snakes together consistently causes them to have stress related issues. You have not. Can someone smoke their whole lives without getting cancer? Sure. Should they smoke? No. No one here said corn snakes WILL eat each other, or WILL stop eating. Only that it has been proven time and time again that it DOES happen and that no one should take those risks with their pets just because they want to save space. :/

Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #57
patches152
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyChaiTea View Post
Are you serious? We've proven that keeping corn snakes together consistently causes them to have stress related issues. You have not. Can someone smoke their whole lives without getting cancer? Sure. Should they smoke? No. No one here said corn snakes WILL eat each other, or WILL stop eating. Only that it has been proven time and time again that it DOES happen and that no one should take those risks with their pets just because they want to save space. :/
but it IS possible to house them together. Right? Examples have been given that its possible, regardless of the reasons, right?

My point still stands, and you are a prime example: instead of deciding FOR people, provide them with the facts. All of them, not just the ones that support your views, and let people decide for themselves.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #58
ZoologyGirl
It's also possible that I can jump off roofs. Hooray.

I don't think there is much use in debating *arguing* anymore. Everything has been said that can be said. The way I see it, I just see no positive to housing snakes together. I'd rather not risk unhealthy/dead snakes in exchange for no positive return. So I will continue housing my snakes separately. We've already given Patches (and other readers) our reasons for not agreeing with cohabbing snakes. I don't think shoving it down their throat is going to help much, they'll make their own decision whether we agree with it or not.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #59
patches152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
It's also possible that I can jump off roofs. Hooray.

I don't think there is much use in debating *arguing* anymore. Everything has been said that can be said. The way I see it, I just see no positive to housing snakes together. I'd rather not risk unhealthy/dead snakes in exchange for no positive return. So I will continue housing my snakes separately. We've already given Patches (and other readers) our reasons for not agreeing with cohabbing snakes. I don't think shoving it down their throat is going to help much, they'll make their own decision whether we agree with it or not.
that's been my whole purpose in this discussion. i've seen this action far too much on various topics on this forum in the month or so since i've joined. i could care less what other people do, and i understand the reasons you and others have spoken out against cohabitation. i was merely playing devil's advocate.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #60
Jdog3131
Ok everyone calm down!We all(hopefully)know that co-habing is bad and that corn snakes do not live anywhere near 29 alone not to mention the stress of being with another one...Anyway I started to post to say to stop arguing!It gets us NOWHERE.Remember feeding the troll is very bad as it gives it MORE!Just me stating my $.02.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google