CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

COHABBING QUESTIONS AND ADVICE

Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
big chris
COHABBING QUESTIONS AND ADVICE

This is not a thread to debate whether cohabbing is right or wrong. This thread is meant for those who have made up their mind to house their snakes together and may still have questions or may encounter problems that they would like help with.

Under no circumstances should cohabbing be done out of financial necessity, if you can't afford to run two tanks then you don't need two snakes.

Under no circumstances should you feed your snakes in the same habitat. Even under close supervision this is something that could go wrong in a split second and could cause irreversible damage.

If you have any questions or concerns about whether or not to cohab I recommend seeking the advice of nanci @ snickersnakes she always has so of the most up to date information while it is her opinion may not be impartial (she is adamantly opposed to cohabbing) the information she can provide is very important you should know the risks involved in your decisions.

That all being said I personally house 3 corns in one tank 3 bearded dragons in one tank 2 rainbow boas in a tank and 2 hognose snakes in a tank.

I recently had a scare that one of my corns would try to cannibalize one of its tank mates because of how active he was after eating. While I received absolutely zero help on the open forum (the only open messages on the thread were angry ones about anti-cohabbing) but I received a lot of good advice from people that were tired of fighting this fight but still were willing to help others just not willing to take the public abuse from those that despise cohabbing. We came to the conclusion that the meal was adequate and that the extra activity was not a sign of hunger but was a digestive technique using tank branches to move food down.

Please know that just because you have made the decision to cohab your snakes it doesn't mean that people have to agree with your decision quite the contrary expect them to voice their opinion quite loudly they scream it from the roof tops. But their opinion doesn't mean that your opinion is wrong and it definitely doesn't mean that if you have a problem you don't have a right to have a place to talk about that problem, this thread is that place I have talked to moderators and bullying of any member will not be tolerated that being said if someone comes on this thread and calls me a idiot or if someone chooses to attack you for asking a pro-cohabbing question do not engage them in the fight that they are looking for address it with the moderators and let them do their job whether they agree with you or the attacker they will be fair.

Best of luck

Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
dwyn127
Did you start this thread before or after reading Dale Carnegie's book "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
big chris
That's next on my list I just finished Nathan Satan's 666 ways to influence fiends and win over foes.

ps its an actual book great satire quick fun read

Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
dionythicus
I suppose I don't understand the point of this thread. There are plenty of threads regarding good vs bad about co-habbing. Why does there need to be another one? Is this one meant to be in support of co-habbing and therefor off limits to people's strong opinions, or is it meant to give support to those who choose to go another route than what is traditional and offer them a pat on the back (meant in a good way) for being willing to do things their own way? Either way, there's no reason to make personal attacks. I fail to see any benefit in this thread because it will probably spiral out of control. It's not a black and white topic and it continues to be flogged like a dead horse. People can look for information about co-habbing and make up their own minds. By asking for other people's advice, the can of worms is unleashed. So let's try to play nice and treat each other with respect.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by big chris View Post

I recently had a scare that one of my corns would try to cannibalize one of its tank mates because of how active he was after eating.
..................................... We came to the conclusion that the meal was adequate and that the extra activity was not a sign of hunger but was a digestive technique using tank branches to move food down.

Well I'm glad you figure this out.
I fed in a feeding tank so I don't have that issue to give any good advice.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
big chris
@Dionythicus , earlier this week I requested help and advice on a home study we were waiting to undergo from social services regarding our planned adoption that being said I was seeking advice on having the reptiles in the house period, well that didn't work it quickly turned to personal attacks on my cohabbing decisions and being unfit to raise children or adopt.

It is not my wish to pat anybody on the back only to let them know others have made the same decision they have and to hopefully give them a place to address questions with out the abuse

Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Christen
Do you know I have to laugh at that thread because it was one of those things were less was better. If you would have just asked for advice on how to pass a home visit with reptiles and not even stated that they were co-habbed nobody probably would have thought twice about a previous thread of yours. lol I am not stating this for arguments sake I just have seen so many do it recently. It is almost like we purposely throw our self's under the bus.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
AliCat37
Oh? Here we go again. Bad bad bad for all the animals in your care.
All those animals are solitary and should not be housed together. I've seen beardies that were housed together before. Just like you, there were three to a tank.. then one day there was blood everywhere, they were missing tails, limbs, toes, and had several wounds on their faces. One died from infection shortly after and the others ended up dying later on, far before their life expectancies were up- DESPITE the fact that they were separated after the incident. It's already been discussed about what will happen to your snakes.
I agree with cmalchow, no one, not anyone at all would have even mentioned you cohabbing when you asked about the home visit, yet you brought it up.

I don't understand why you continue to stir up this topic.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
Shiari
My sister-in-law worked at a store that sold reptiles once. One day, they had several little hognoses together in a tank.

The next day, they had far fewer, and far fatter, hognoses as they had eaten each other.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
beautifullywild77
I know there have been some attacks lately. But making a thread like this is just going to stir the pot once again. If people really don't care what others say and continue to cohab, that is their choice. But to keep putting it out there seems to rub it in the face of those that disagree.

My own experience with cohabbing~ I recently become the owner of an adult male ghost corn that was being cohabbed with a female. He had recently stopped being active, not eating and would twitch severaly when she would come near him. He has been in my care now for 24 hours and I can honestly and whole heartedly tell you he is not the same snake I brought home yesterday. He is active and seems to be relaxed.

I do not agree with cohabbing any reptiles, but to each their own I suppose. I hope it truly works out for the best for those that do cohabb (apparently there are a lot on this forum).
~Stephenie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google