CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

COHABBING QUESTIONS AND ADVICE

Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #31
big chris
I find no other benefit other than the observational aspect of it. And why is that not enough

Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #32
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyK View Post
This begs the question...

What other reason is there for cohabbing? You've yet to clarify a position on this.

I'm taking "behavioral observation" out of the equation as none of the species you keep would stay in that close proximity in the wild. You took out financial/space considerations. What's left???
Hi Scotty
I would love to see him answer this one, but I am pretty sure he won't.
A good friend of mine would say "you can't save em all", and she is right.

At this point it is pretty clear that no matter what is said, or how many say it, it will not matter one bit to big chris, because big chris just does not care.
Nothing will change his mind.
He wants to be told that co habbing is just hunky dory, and we know that it isn't.
So he will do just exactly as he wants, and we can't stop him.
But I won't pat him on the back and say "atta boy"!

At this point, putting him in ignore would be a really good thing.
But a few of us should keep him in sight so that his opinions don't influence the noobies.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #33
big chris
I want starsevol warned and placed on probation just like I was for abusive profanity her changing 2 letters in a word does not make it any less profane then me using only 2 letters to get my point across to some one

Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #34
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by big chris View Post
I find no other benefit other than the observational aspect of it. And why is that not enough
Some people like the observational aspects of keeping 5 parakeets in a single standard sized bird cage. Doesn't mean it's right for the birds. Some people like the observational aspects of having 50 cats in a house. Doesn't mean it's right for the cats.

Housing hognoses together, when they are known for eating other snakes, is just plain foolish.

Housing the three corns together... what if one of them produces feces that are abnormal? How will you tell which one? What if one of them gets an URI? They'll pass it quickly to the other two. What if one regurges late in the digestion process when there's no longer a visible lump? How will you tell which animal did it?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #35
ScottyK
Quote:
Because that aspect conflicts with what's best for the captive reptile....

Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #36
starsevol
Quote:
I want starsevol warned and placed on probation just like I was for abusive profanity her changing 2 letters in a word does not make it any less profane then me using only 2 letters to get my point across to some one
If using the words "co habbing azz" is an infractionable offense, I would prefer Nanci doing the honors. I am tired of getting all my infractions from Susan.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #37
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Well, the answer to that is obviously "I like to see them together." I'ma go house my hatchling corns and my cats together, 'cause I'd like to see 'em together.
LOL- I should have said "good" reason.

Your answer is what most of these boil down to, with the notable exception of some European keepers who cohab in super large, naturalistic setups.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #38
Christen
You know I tried to appease you they way you stated you wanted. I told you my co-habbing story. You have yet to tell us how big your enclosure it or the sex of your snakes or how you are practicing safe co-habbing. He he So therefore your opinion on how to co-hab safety hold no merit in my book.

Quote:
Because it is not!! Same as feeding live. I do it because I like the thrill of the kill never mind the risk to my snakes. Give me good reason why you feed live (just an example) and I will get off your back. Even if you just tell me because I feel it holds more nutritional value than frozen. (again just an example)

Throw us some sort of bone other than childish "because I can" attitude.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #39
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Hi Scotty
I would love to see him answer this one, but I am pretty sure he won't.
A good friend of mine would say "you can't save em all", and she is right.

But a few of us should keep him in sight so that his opinions don't influence the noobies.
Beth- Agreed for the most part. One of the reasons I also respond to these topics is for the benefit of new keepers who may search the threads in the future...

Old 12-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #40
big chris
@scotty I believe I sent new keepers on the right path when I sent them toward snickersnakes in my opening post I made this link for those of us that have decided to cohab and need community help with our endeavors. As far as your infraction I to would prefer it come from nanci since she issued mine for the 2 letters I posted.

My enclosure for the corns is about 64 inches long 27 inches wide and 49 inches tall it is a matching piece to the boa tank they make a entertainment center and the hognose enclosure is the middle piece. The beardeies are in a coffee table enclosure that is a octagon with 19 inch sides and it is right at 20 inches tall

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google