CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Killing mice

Old 06-29-2002, 03:30 AM   #41
SilverTongue
a few mor live mice feedings here

Old 06-29-2002, 03:32 AM   #42
SilverTongue
Unhappy

Old 06-30-2002, 08:39 PM   #43
Celeste
Sorry. I didn't know my writing was THAT bad....Personally I can't understand how you can hunt; I would just look at a doe or a turkey or whoever and think about how alive and well he is and drop my gun right then and there...but that's just my opinion*sigh* I hope one-day the laws will change...but right now the only thing I can do is dream about animals having rights....On to the subject of cornsnakes(if I go on another rant about mice I'll bore everyone stupid) those pictures are awful!

If a robin redbreast in a cage
Puts all heaven in a rage
How feels heaven when
Dies the billionth battery hen?
-Spike Milligan(The Animal's Voice )

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
-George Orwell

Old 06-30-2002, 08:55 PM   #44
kenalotia
Unfortunately, in many areas it is almost necessary to hunt. For example, in the area I live in, there are tons of deer. None of their natural predators, such as wolves, are here anymore. Deer can multiply until they eat up all of their food supply - which is also the food supply for other animals. While I, for one, would not mind reintroducing wolves and other natural predators back into the area, this is a long, complex process and is often resisted by people who keep livestock. Unless you want huge amounts of deer who can eat up all the resources, eat up people's gardens, and get hit by cars in large numbers, you need hunters. In my opinion, it is better for the deer to die relatively quickly after being shot, and then go to feed people than for it to slowly starve or get hit by a car.

JMHO...

Old 06-30-2002, 09:22 PM   #45
CrazyCorn
Lightbulb

I have read all the messages and believe the easyest way to kill mice and rats is put them in a baggy and bang them,they dont explode or anything,sometimes they might bleed if you do it to hard but do just enough to harm or kill the mouse not slamming it just bang it,Hope this helps!

P.S It is easy and cheap to do it this way.

Old 07-01-2002, 08:28 AM   #46
Celeste
I really don't want to turn this into an argument over deer, but I will say this: if we viewed deer the same way as people (and in my opinion, we ought to) then no one would be allowed to kill them and they would keep their own numbers down. How did the dinosaurs survive without people? Easy - they controlled their populations. It seems the only thing that humans manage to do when trying to help is mess things up more. If you look at it from a different approach, one could always argue that homo sapiens is vastly overpopulated, but you don't see us out there killing other humans because they destroy the environment, do you? That's just how I like to see it. If you think of it differently that's fine; just try to understand what I'm saying, because a lot of people (and I'm not saying this is anyone on this board; I'm mostly talking about animal abusers and slaughter-house workers etc.) are just too lazy to think of animals in their every-day lives.
Sorry about my explosion. (Didn't I say that I didn't want to rant anymore ) Since I have nothing to say that's actually about the topic of killing mice, I think I'll just be quiet now. Cheers to everyone.

Just some things I'd like everyone to know about hunting before I leave:

For every animal a hunter kills and recovers, at least two wounded animals die slowly and painfully of blood loss, infection or starvation, and those who don't die often suffer disabling injuries . (Ingrid Newkirk, Save The Animals)

While natural predators keep their prey species strong by killing only the sickest and weakest members, human pleasure hunters seek out and destroy the strongest and most fit; and by atificially reducing natural populations each year, hunters actually stimulate breeding and higher birth rates. (Same as above)

Old 07-01-2002, 09:46 AM   #47
Missymonkey
(an educated answer, I've taken many wildlife manag. classes in college)

I just wanted to add my two cents about this deer thing.
If the deer were left to naturaly keep their own numbers, many would die a painful slow death due to starvation and disease.
Hunters are given tags by the DNR which tell them which type of deer (doe/buck/yearling ect) they may harvest, this then limits the amount of bucks and does harvested each year, and manages the population all the more.
Hunters make a small impact on the deer popluation, each year before hunting season opens there are 1.65 million deer. Hunters in 2000 only harvested 618,274 deer. (bow and rifle seasons combined)
By harvesting animals we limit the spread of disease including bovine wasting disease which is the deer eqivalent of mad cow.
(http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/ for more info, the DNR's site)

It really is a matter of opinion just like the mouse issue is, I personaly don't see the difference between some guy in a factory killing mice to ship frozen or me doing it on a smaller scale. If it was up to the snake in the wild the mouse would die a relativily fast death by suffocation or possibly by breaking it's neck. Most of us spare this work from our snake and either do it ourselves in a comperable way or let some guy (or girl) in a factory do it for us. The end result is always the same, dead mouse and a fed snake. The only difference is how we dispatch the mouse, and unless you are some sick Ed Gein or Jeffery Dahlmer you find the most pain-free and quick way to dispatch your mice, no one wants to see there mice suffer, however when you own a snake you take the responsability of feeding it, and we all know that snakes don't eat carrots or brussel sprouts

Old 07-01-2002, 11:06 AM   #48
kenalotia
Anyone who sets out to prove that human hunting causes more breeding in deer is going to have a very hard time. Yes, deer breed a lot. Yes, people hunt. That doesn't imply a causal relationship. And in the wild, most animals do NOT control their population naturally. They happily continue to breed, and their population will be controlled by hunters of one sort or another, or by starvation when they become too plentiful for their resources. Starvation is population control. And humans are natural predators. Humans have relied on meat as part of their diets throughout prehistory and history. It is possible for people in developed countries, in this period of time, to have a healthy balanced diet without any meat products, but for most peoples, in most periods of time, this was not true. We are designed to be omnivores. We are not artificial hunters.

Btw, dinosaurs, were often prey as well as predator. Some animals do control their numbers. In canine packs generally only one female and one male are allowed to breed. Other predators also have similar rules. As far as I know, no non-predators have rules like this. For those animals with few to no natural predators (and this includes humans) starvation and disease are the natural population controls. Since humans have vastly overpopulated the earth, do you think we should let starvation and disease take their toll to solve the problem, since this is what you suggest we do for deer?

Old 07-01-2002, 11:16 AM   #49
Missymonkey
*pat on back*

that was a good reply, very well put.

Old 07-01-2002, 11:22 AM   #50
pipatic
LETS GET BACK CORNS,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google