CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Exo Terra tank?? :/

Old 05-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
IEATGLITTER
Exo Terra tank?? :/

Okay, so from my other thread, I was told to look into the exo terra tanks. Well I found the perfect one on sale for about 20 bucks cheaper than the original price. I don't go to petsmart for anything, but I decided to go in there and see what they had for snakes, which is a horrible selection, but they have the exo terra tanks. My only problem is the locking mechanism...it kind of freaks me out. I have also heard that the top of the tanks do not seem that secure. The tank I have right now is one that slides off to the side from the top and seems very secure. Apart from freaking out if he gets out, I am so worried that if he did, my room mates would go berserk and kill him...
One of my roommates is terrified of snakes. I have bought this thing for my door, you slide it under the door to keep in heat, but it fits under the door snug as a bug! I read snakes can be amazing escape artist...so I am taking all kinds of measures.

I just want an opinion on the tanks and if anyone uses them, is there anything more I can do to make sure he can not escape!

Thanks!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
AliCat37
If you got the tank that is made for snakes with the sliding lid then it is secure. I've only heard of one snake escaping from that.

If you are really worried I would put him in a sterilite bin until he is older. I prefer the ones with the locking lids.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
tdavis
exo terra tank/ sliding front tank

we have 3 exo terra tanks for our snakes. We have had no problems with them & they are more eye appealing. we had used a tank that had slidding front door as oppose to the swinging door & that type is not safe. we had 2 snakes escape between the glass. we have only been able to find 1 of our little ones

Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
rrowdy
We have Six of the large Exo Terra tanks and have never had an escape.
I'm not sure which one you purchased but ours all have a locking screen top, Front locking doors and as far as I'm concerned escape proof.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Guruofchem
I have only one of those particular tanks, but aside from the possibility of you breaking the latch mechanism (which I have heard happens but is rare), I don't see a snake escaping easily at all, unless of course you leave the door open, in which case it is definitely the cage's fault...

Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Chromatic Corns
I also have one and love it. No escapees and I like the way it looks. At my school we keep a water snake in one and a rough green snake in the other. No issues with those either.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
AliCat37
Starting to wonder if the tank I have isn't an exoterra.. Mine doesn't have opening glass doors. I have seen those before and I have seen lots of people keep corns in them. I personally don't trust those glass doors, I think a snake could easily push out? But idk. If everyone else has used them with success then my gut feeling may be wrong!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
VickyChaiTea
The only time I've ever had a snake escape on exo terra tank is when a hatchling squeezed through the hole (which you can cover, someone forgot to) in the lid made for the cord of a digital thermometer. Other than that they're pretty good.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Chromatic Corns
The glass doors open out toward you but there is a locking latch that keeps them from pushing out. I double mine though with an actual lock, that way if the latch fails or someone forgets that part, the lock is on.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Weda737
I have one of my adults in the exo terra rainforest set up, I wouldn't recommend it for babies but for your typical adult it's been great. Just be careful of their little heads when you open the front doors because mine boy tends to stick his head in the crack behind the door when it's open and he has had his little head pinched before from the door moving. So other than just being careful when you have the doors open then I like them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google