CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

how long between feedings can a snake go

Old 05-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
KyGirl
how long between feedings can a snake go

I am out of frozen mice and it will be the middle of June before I can travel to where I get them. It is a 80 mile trip. I was making it once a month but things have occurred and I didn't make it this month. My local pet store only sells live feeders. I asked her about getting frozen ones and she said she couldn't. I am going to stay on to her and get her to check around for me. She is an old family friend. She has snakes but is a firm believer in feeding live. I have tried to change her mind but she isn't open to it. She was taught that snakes to need eat live to be healthy. Oh well. I will buy a live one and pre kill it if I have too.
If I wait to buy frozen it will be 7 weeks until she is fed again. She is around three years old and eats adult mice. What should I do?

I will be moving to my own place soon and I am thinking about raising my own and maybe start selling them to other local snake owners. I just don't know about Kentucky laws on this. More research needed. I am currently raising snails for the pet shop to feed its snail eating fish on a small scale for store credit. Also setting up an ornamental shrimp breeding setup.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
beautifullywild77
I would do the prekilled. Even though snakes can go a while in between meals, 7 weeks seems like a long time to go, especially since you can do the Prekill!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
KyGirl
that is what I will do then. I am a little squeamish about pre killing but I will.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
beautifullywild77
I understand completely.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Becca58
I think I'd MacGuyver something together: a kill box to put the mice in, get a CO2 tank for paintball guns (the bigger tanks, not the teeny ones), and fix up a way to deliver the CO2 into the box in a controlled way. Once the mice are dead, freeze them individually, then sort them by weight and bag 'em.

That's just me, though.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Chip
How to quickly kill a mouse. You will need one shop towel, one butter knife, one adult mouse. Lay towel on a counter. Pick mouse up by the tail and let it crawl away from you on this surface. Place back of butter knife on mouse's neck firmly. Sharply pull tail until neck breaks. Frankly, if you can "thump" hard, a well placed thump of the finger on the back of a mouse's head will drop it dead. CO2 for one mouse seems kind of ridiculous. It's an unpleasant job, but mice really dispatch very quickly. This advice does not apply to a rat or rabbit.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
VampMN
I'm too squeamish to kill mice that way. I think I'd be way more comfortable with CO2.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Chip
Do you know anyone with snakes that could do the cervical dislocation? It takes a lot of CO2, so I'd advise going ahead and killing off several if you have to do it that way. If you make a PVC chamber or something, that would help, since CO2 is heavier than air. But cervical dislocation is faster, and easy if you can bring yourself (or find someone) to do it -there are vids up on youtube.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
MysticExotics
I agree that CO2 would be kinda of excessive for just one mouse, but I am in the same boat with you, as far as dispatching them by hand.
What if you bought 12-15 live mice at a time & used a CO2 chamber (which is easy to make) to dispatch them, then you have a few months of food, just keep them in your freezer....?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google