CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Another rack question..

Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
New2this<3
Another rack question..

I have to get a rack soon because my fiance and I will be moving in together and she doesn't want to have to really see my baby out. I did talk her into a rack and maybe a few more corns maybe even my first ball. I want something small only 4 shelfs but I don't know what size tubs I need for and adult corn that would also be okay for a ball. I am not really handy enough to build my own rack. Does anyone know of a rack that locks? My girl really wants a lock on them. Can I even keep a ball in the same rack with corns, would it need a seperate thermostat and heating?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Nanci
Take a look at Animal Plastics, Reptile Basics or CSerpents. I know Animal Plastics does custom.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
maxfox426
I'd also recommended checking out Animal Plastics for racks. I have one from them and love it. I don't recall if they do locking ones, but as Nanci said, they will do custom requests. Perhaps locks are something they can do.

As for having BPs and corns share a rack... I've never had a BP and can't claim to know much about them. Hopefully someone else who is more familiar with their needs will chime in. That said, I know that corns and BPs are not native to the same continent, so I would be concerned about conflicting environmental needs (namely, heat). Like I said, I don't know all the details, but it's definitely something I'd do some research on before making a purchase!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
New2this<3
Thank you both. I think I would have to have two seperate thermostats because of differences in heat. What size tub would be good for an adult corn?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Nanci
32 or 66 quart is the minimum. I like 66 because of the extra height.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
New2this<3
I am thinking about a 41 quarte cause I saw someone who had one for sall that they had been using for balls. I would like to make it for an adult ball so I can use it for them one day if I can't figure out how to keep a ball in the rack with my future corns. I was wondering if I could keep a caliking in a corn in the same rack at the same temps. The king snake care sheets I saw weren't specific.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Nanci
Yes, a Cali king will be fine at identical conditions that you would use for corns.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
New2this<3
I think that's what I might do. Nanci I think I saw a post were you said you had one. Are there any common problems with them?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
TyeW
I keep my ball pythons in the same rack as my corns with the same thermostat. I just have the ball pythons in the top section because it is warmer. With wiring 10 shelves of 41 quart bins in parallel for 1 feet of 11" heat tape, I stick the thermostat probe to the middle shelf directly on the heat tape and have the set temperature at 93F. This provides a hot spot in the bin at the top of about 92F and at the bottom about 87F.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Nanci
Problems with what, Cali kings? Not in particular. I've heard some people say theirs go through a picky phase. Mine did. She also has a smaller head than a corn of a similar weight, so when she was growing, ate meals that would seem small for a corn. Like- the diameter of her body, not larger. They can be musky and strikey- that's why Choco was given to me in the first place. But she's always been calm with me. She is one of my favorite snakes. (She was my second snake). I think the albinos tend to be more evil than the normals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google