CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Cold Weather Feeding female 2.5 years old

Old 01-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
Maevenish
Cold Weather Feeding female 2.5 years old

My Peach got a little pudgy and wasn't as interested in feeding as usual. So I tried to let her go two weeks before feeding. She eats 1 frozen/thawed rat that is 90/150g. She just acts like she's not hungry. I will refreeze once. So now I've thrown out three rats. She hasn't eaten in like 5 weeks. She did have a very small poop a week ago, and the pee part looked very dry. Almost powdery. She is still chonky (not fat) just thicc. So I know she's not starving. I use a plastic bin with a towel in it to feed her so she knows when it's dinnertime. I just don't want to keep throwing away her food. Is there something that will let me know when she's finally hungry again? I check on her every day and get her out every few days. I took her to the store recently and she was active and alert and her usual sweet self. I had a mask, she didn't. Any advice from you pros? Thank you so much!

Wendy

Old 01-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Does she come out to 'hunt' in the evenings? Maybe she would be a good candidate for brumation in the winter. And have you considered getting a second snake to eat her leftovers?

Old 01-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #3
MysticExotics
How much does your snake weigh? Do you have pictures of your snake?
The prey is likely way more than your snake needs.
Most adult Cornsnakes only need adult mice, or maybe XL adult mice.
I would switch her to mice.

The Munson Plan is a good guide to follow for feeding.

Weight Freq prey size prey wght
4-15gr 5-6 days pinks 2-3gr
16-23gr 5-6 days dbl pinks 3gr X2
24-30gr 6-7 days sm fuzzy 5-7gr
30-50gr 6-7 days fuzzy 7-9gr
51-90gr 6-7 days hopper 9-12gr
91-170gr 6-7 days weanling 14-20gr
170-400gr *7 days adult 20-30gr
401+gr *7 days xl adult 30-50gr

**Snake weight X.2 prey size weight (approximate) adjust as necessary

Old 01-03-2021, 12:22 AM   #4
Shiari
150 grams is upwards of 3 to 5 times the size of the prey she should be eating. My largest corn, who refuses mice, gets a 60 gram rat and that's once every *three weeks* and he's STILL prone to gaining weight! And he's 5 1/2 feet long and 10 years old.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #5
Maevenish
Answer and sorry for the delay

So she's fine. I'm just a moron.

I was over feeding her and she was fat. I was trying to go by the width of her body vs the width of her prey. She was just not hungry. And she needed a diet.

I have given her more exercise time and extended her feeding time to two weeks and have switched to much smaller prey. Her last vet visit she got a wonderful review and she's eating well again.

I'm sorry for the delay, I've had to return to my office for work (more stressful than I expected) and live just got in the way.

I want you all to know I appreciate you and the helpful information you provide.

Thank you so very much!
Wendy

Old 07-07-2021, 11:09 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
Glad you got it figured out! You'll often hear people say to feed prey that is 1 to 1.5 times as wide as the snake - which is great for young, growing snakes! - but it's often neglected to mention that that rule stops applying once the snake is an adult. That sounds like a much healthier schedule for her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google