CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

View Poll Results: do you agree with co housing snakes?
yes 13 4.87%
no 189 70.79%
yes if same species 31 11.61%
No if different species 2 0.75%
only if they are monitored 32 11.99%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

co housing snakes

Old 10-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #61
hartsock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
I'm probably the wrong person to ask,.

LOL..... , ummm.... thanks! (still think you're great HaisseM!)

Actually, I have been watching them for months at the petstore and they do seem to have a connection..... I think it is best to seperate, but these two make me think a little....

Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #62
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsock

Actually, I have been watching them for months at the petstore and they do seem to have a connection..... I think it is best to seperate, but these two make me think a little....
Hey..think about buying the two and but them out in your back yard on a warm sunny day and see the connection.
Not trying to be a smart a** but I just don't think (My opinion) that they will hang out together. I just don't.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #63
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsock

I've converted another --- JUST KIDDING

Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #64
hartsock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennycorn
Hey..think about buying the two and but them out in your back yard on a warm sunny day and see the connection.
Not trying to be a smart a** but I just don't think (My opinion) that they will hang out together. I just don't.
Did I say they were inseperatable? Did I say they were life long partners looking to go on adventures in the wild together? Did I say that he even called her after their night together? Sheesh...you know I am usually being the one who is the smart aleck, but at least I own up to it and not try to cop out by saying "not trying to be a smart..." (nice use of censorship there, I had no idea what you were saying....unlike any 5th grader, )

The thing is with these two is that they are not in the wild, they are captive bred snakes who both have been mistreated in one way or another. Just like saying feeding live is natural because of what they do in the wild isn't an arguement because they are trapped in the tank with the prey, they are not in a natural setting with being in a tank together..so possibly bonds could form, who knows? I certainly don't and that is why I am not advocating co-hab. There are 1,001 reasons not to co-hab, but maybe there are a few that could be legit. I don't think it applies to these two and I don't believe I have ever, EVER stated that I was planning on keeping them together if I got them both. All I said is that it got me thinking.... maybe there can be bonds formed that we know nothing about. I know different snakes seem to have different personalities, so maybe there is more there than alot of people give them credit for.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #65
hartsock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
I've converted another --- JUST KIDDING
Ummmm....yeah, pass me the red coolaid please...

Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 AM   #66
7Dseven
Smile cohabbing?

I have only been into the snake family for a little over a year. We currently have 9 snakes. 7 were rescues. The first 2 we started out with, came from different places and are kept in seperate tanks. The next 2 we took in were 6 months old and were in a tank together when we took them in, so we have left them together. We have a seperate feeding tank, and so far, feeding has not been an issue. I would not consider placing 2 new snakes together but as some of mine grew up that way, it seems to work for them. They curl up together sometimes and sometimes they lay on opposite sides of the tank.
My newest 3 rescues all came in a tank together but they are supposed to be males and I worry that they may not get along as well as my females do together. Sexual maturity may cause territorial issues. So far no problems but I will be watching them closely. I dont have room for 9 30-55 gallon tanks but if I have to seperate them I will do so and go to the less attractive tupperware/rubbermaid system. That just doesnt seem as natural to me. I try to make my tanks as natural a setting for them as possible. Long as they are happy and healthy, I am happy.
So yes I cohabit, but only certain ones. And that may change as they mature.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:32 AM   #67
snakewispera snr
Thats dedication for you.....Watching your snakes every second of every hour every day. And the moment one snake suddenly strikes out, your in that viv like a flash...Very admirable.....
I haven't got that level of dedication, so unfortunately I can only have as many snakes as I can house seperately....

Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #68
7Dseven
Red face Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Thats dedication for you.....Watching your snakes every second of every hour every day. And the moment one snake suddenly strikes out, your in that viv like a flash...Very admirable.....
I haven't got that level of dedication, so unfortunately I can only have as many snakes as I can house seperately....
I am sorry. I didnt mean to imply that I watch them every second of every day. All of my snakes were taken in from bad situations or were abandened, etc.
The ones who are together, were together when I got them. Upon observation, they appear to get along fine. So I have left them together for now. If they begin to show signs off aggression, or they seem to avoid each other, I will seperate them. The females I have together, just turned 1 this month. They show zero signs of stress, are healthy, eat great, and get plenty of exercise. They sleep together sometimes and sleep seperate sometimes. The 3 males were in a 50 gallon together when we rescued them the other night. I have returned 2 of them back to the original 50 gallon tank. They seems to get along fine, but it is also a large tank and they are weak and under sized for their age. The smallest, weakest, male is being kept seperate from the other 2 only because I am trying to keep him calm and quiet while we attempt to get him back to health.
I am no pro. Dont claim to be. Got into snakes purely by chance. We take in rescues. All types of rescues. When I wound up with a rescued snake about 1 1/2 yrs ago, I had to do alot of research quickly. I am doing my best with the space and knowledge that I have. They all appear happy and healthy, thats much better than what they had. I will continue to cohab the ones already cohabbing for the time being. I will not cohab new snakes who weren't brought up that way. As my rescued collection seems to be steadily growing, I plan to build something better to house them all seperately later on. Hopefully I can have them all in their own habitat later this summer. Regardless, I will not place them all in rubbermaid containers to live just so they arent together. How natural is that? The tanks they are in are large. 30-55 gallon depending on the size of the snakes. So at least they have lots of space, branches to climb, plants to hide in or climb thru, they each have a water bowl and seperate hiddey caves. Right now I think thats better than a rubbermaid container with a water bowl and bedding. Thats just "my" opinion. I do have plastic containers which I dont mind using for short periods of time. Like with this weakest male. He is being kept in a plastic container. But once he is healthy, he will go in a tank. After being alone for so long, he will get his own tank. If I am keeping them, they are pets, part of the family. They will get as natural a setting as I can provide them and I will have them out where we can enjoy them as well. We take them all out and hold them individually during the week. They all get attention and exercise. I am not into this for breeding purposes and seeing how many snakes I can house. I have no intension in having so many that I would have to make them all live out their lives in storage boxes. Thats fine for breeders but not for me. I take them in because they needed a home. All of my snakes were rescues. None were bought. As long as I have room and can afford to feed them I will keep them. If not, I will take them in, get them healthy and find them good homes. If you do not agree with my methods. I am sorry. I am doing the best that I can for them.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #69
TripleMoonsExotic
The excuse that you don't have room for nine 30-50g tanks is a poor one. I can house eleven adult cornsnakes in the floor space that one 40g tank takes up. It's called a rack.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 PM   #70
7Dseven
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
The excuse that you don't have room for nine 30-50g tanks is a poor one. I can house eleven adult cornsnakes in the floor space that one 40g tank takes up. It's called a rack.

I could make a rack of plastic containers and fit piles of them in a small space, but I choose not to do that. I want the snakes to have room and a natural habitat. I want them to be happy and I want to enjoy watching them as well. I like having them in tanks so we can sit around and watch them sometimes. I have 1 snake who seems to like tv. LOL She comes out at night and watches it with us. When I run out of room for tanks, I will come up with something else. I just dont want to make them live out their lives in tupperware. I have a dog. I dont make her live her life in a crate just because I have one. She is out with us most of the time. We enjoy playing with her and watching her play with her toys. My snakes are family too. I want them out with us as well. I enoy watching them in as natural a setting as possible.
I wasnt making an excuse that I dont have room for 9 tanks. Yes it is getting tight, but thats my choice. I choose not to do a rack of plastic containers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google