CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Just need a little help.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #11
cka
Yup, jjust make sure you use a thermometer to measure the temps directly over the UTH at the substrate level...

Old 08-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
BeckyG
I got a ZooMed rheostat and I didn't like it. It didn't get my temps low enough. They were staying in the low 90's which is too hot for corns. I put it on my ball python's tank and got a plug in lamp dimmer from Wal-mart. It works better for me.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
cka
You can always place the UTH on a heat resistant piece of tile and raise/lower the aquarium above it to get the desired temperature, w/o directly affixing it to your tank

Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
Flagg
I prefer thermostats rather than rheostats/lamp dimmers. With a dimmer the temp changes with the room temp so you have to check it frequently. With a thermostat you just set it to the proper range and don't really have to worry about it again. Best deal is the Zoo Med 500R for $22.99 plus shipping at reptiledirect.com.

A digital thermometer with probe is also essential. What I do is zip tie the 2 probes together and put them under the substrate directly over the UTH so it measures the hottest point the snake can reach.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
ScottyK
If you are getting a hatchling, make sure you use at least 4 of those clips on the screen. Six and a rock on top would be better. The small ones can slip through the tiniest of cracks...

Good luck, and welcome to the site....

Scott

Old 08-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #16
Classic_Fizz
ok, will do. And for the thermostat, how do you get those in the tank with out creating another opening in the lid?

Old 08-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #17
Classic_Fizz
Oh and is there any specific UTH that you all recomend? Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #18
Shaky
The rheostat should be on the outside of the tank - when you see it, you'll understand.
Any UTH will work fine. Be aware of a couple of things:
#1 - Don't adhere it to the glass of your tank - it never comes off. Instead, affix a sheet of aluminum foil to the sticky glue. That way you can move it around as desired.
#2 UTHs break after a few years. They kind of "burn out."
#3 UTHs can get burning hot. Be careful.

I prefer heat tape, which is a self construct (you have to follow simple electrical connections directions - all very easy), available through several herp-supply houses.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:00 AM   #19
Classic_Fizz
ok, will it still work if I just dont take off the the sticker that reveals the adheasive crap and just set it under the tank? Also, I am getting the thermostat someone reccomended a couple of posts ago. Don't the probes go on the inside of the tank? And if so, dont the wires make the lid rise a little? If not, where do you put the probes? Thanks!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:52 AM   #20
Shaky
I was always worried that the sticker - being made of a flammable object - would heat up so much it became a hazard.

As for the rheostat - maybe you're right. I'm not ffamiliar with the one you're describing. Follow directions and ask more questions if you can't figure it out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google