CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Where To Feed

Old 08-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
Rorryy
Come on guys, I do believe that was Checkerbelly's attempt at being funny. I laughed. However, inappropriate advice to a newcomer.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #12
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorryy
Come on guys, I do believe that was Checkerbelly's attempt at being funny. I laughed. However, inappropriate advice to a newcomer.
I actually thought it was a little bit funny myself. BUT, I can see an inexperienced snake owner taking his advice step-by-step thinking that it is good advice from an experienced keeper. It wouldn't really be that funny for the new guy's snake to spit out the half-swallowed mouse as it's being handled. Feeding time is a vulnerable time for snakes. There's no need to stress them out at this time.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
Checkerbelly
[quote=Checkerbelly]It's all a matter of what your snake is used to.[quote]

I was just trying to get the point across that you don't always have to tread on eggshells. And it depends on the individual snake and how tolerant it is.

More backstory:
I used to try to pluck him out of the feeding container after eating. He would lunge at my hands and it was always a struggle. I would have to hold his head back with a coat hanger. Eventually I would have to dump him into his viv after swallowing or get bit and have to pry him off me. I thought that was unhealthy. So lately I wait until his mouth is too full to bite, but not so full that he will get woodchips stuck to his food and I gently lift him and place him in the viv. It takes 2 seconds and I thought it was the best method in my case.

A simple "Checkerbelly's method is not recommended" would have sufficed.

Do I feel like a master? no. But thanks for inferring that I'm cool.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkerbelly
Quote:
It's all a matter of what your snake is used to.
I was just trying to get the point across that you don't always have to tread on eggshells. And it depends on the individual snake and how tolerant it is.
That's not a bad point. Sorry for being a little off in my reading of your post.

Quote:
More backstory:
I used to try to pluck him out of the feeding container after eating. He would lunge at my hands and it was always a struggle. I would have to hold his head back with a coat hanger. Eventually I would have to dump him into his viv after swallowing or get bit and have to pry him off me. I thought that was unhealthy. So lately I wait until his mouth is too full to bite, but not so full that he will get woodchips stuck to his food and I gently lift him and place him in the viv. It takes 2 seconds and I thought it was the best method in my case.
I wondered later if this was the reason for the "unorthodox" feeding tub extraction. If the snake has no problem with it, it's really not a terrible idea under the circumstances.

Quote:
A simple "Checkerbelly's method is not recommended" would have sufficed.
I reckon so.

Quote:
Do I feel like a master? no. But thanks for inferring that I'm cool.
I'll bet that you are pretty cool, even if you aren't a master. You're one up on me. I'm neither cool, nor a master.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google