CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

caging idea...not the norm

Old 08-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
NYCrestie
Question caging idea...not the norm

would there be any problem turning a 20gal long or 29 gal tank on its front? so the front is now the bottom, and the top is now the front?

i am a big fan of front opening cages. it makes it very easy for cleaning. i also feel it makes herps less scared as you are no longer coming at them from above, so i am not seen as a predator.
while i dont own corns, i own a few crested geckos and all of their vivs are front opening.

so my idea was to take a 20L or 29 turn it on its front and using plexi, maybe glass but dont think im that adverturous, and a setup identical to a screen door, convert it to a front opening

what i would do is cut a 5" high or so piece of plexi and run it down the entire bottom of the enclosure, siliconing it in place. and make either a split door, or a single piece door that will open downward.
making life maybe a little easier, but also a little more expensive, i may use a premade split screen door ive seen online, made by either esu or kritterz, and just adding the plexi to the inside lip of the tank.

has anyone ever done this before?
any pros or cons you can think of before i get into it?

Old 08-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
NonVenomous
I think that's smart, but since I only have had my first snake for about a week, I have no idea how that would work. I'd love to see pictures if it does work out.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Billybobob
The sides of glass vivs are not made to hold much weight so you should be careful with how much you put in to the viv when on it's side. Other than that I don't see any other major problem.

One more thing, I really don't think it will matter to the snake if you are trying to grab it from above or from the side. Predators in the wild would attack from every possible angle.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
PnyKlr
I guess it would be like the herp vivs that you can buy. I don't know much about glass, but would there be a problem with weight distribution?

Be careful of gaps between the glass if you are using a double-sliding door. Small snakes can squeeze out of very small gaps. Make sure to drill some holes in the plexi for air circulation.

I'm sure more people will come by to offer their 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
dwyn127
I had thought of doing that myself and building a shelving unit on a wall, but for me, practicality and laziness took over.

I'm guessing the 5" lip at the bottom front would be to give it a full bottom to keep substrate in?

Old 08-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
NYCrestie
a glass aquarium is meant to hold water, from all directions, so i dont THINK it should be a problem.....but its just a thought so far.
but if its elevated to allow airflow for a uth, i dont know what kind of effect that might have if any

i know of several people that have turned 20L tanks on end to make em tall for their aboreal geckos. but again, these are usually placed flat on a table, not elevated

then on the other hand, i have some of those herp vivs that pnyklr is talking about that open in the front. these are actually elevated on the bottom to provide room for a uth.

PNYKLR- i will not be doing sliding doors. my doors, or door, will be hinged. also, the plexi will just be for the bottom 5" or soto keep the substrate in. above the 5" of plexi would be screening

Old 08-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
NYCrestie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyn127
I had thought of doing that myself and building a shelving unit on a wall, but for me, practicality and laziness took over.

I'm guessing the 5" lip at the bottom front would be to give it a full bottom to keep substrate in?
correct....and im kinda upset you became to lazy to try this. was looking for some advice, lol

Old 08-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #8
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrestie
correct....and im kinda upset you became to lazy to try this. was looking for some advice, lol

Sorry, I guess I get to wait on YOUR advice......that is as long as you don't get lazy or something.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
NYCrestie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyn127

Sorry, I guess I get to wait on YOUR advice......that is as long as you don't get lazy or something.
D'oh
well once i get the info, and seems possible, ill probably give it a go
unless of course the idea gets axed by experienced viv builders

Old 08-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
Billybobob
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrestie
a glass aquarium is meant to hold water, from all directions, so i dont THINK it should be a problem.....but its just a thought so far.
but if its elevated to allow airflow for a uth, i dont know what kind of effect that might have if any

i know of several people that have turned 20L tanks on end to make em tall for their aboreal geckos. but again, these are usually placed flat on a table, not elevated
The bottom of a glass tank holds most of the weight when full of water. The glass pane on the bottom is also normally thicker than the sides unless you are using a tank that is made for reptiles then the bottom is also made of the same thinner glass as the sides. I was trying to help you avoid stress fractures from having to much weight on the sides.

This info comes from working at Central Garden and Pet Supply (A pet and garden supply where house). They were very strict about how you were supposed to stack glass aquariums because if you stacked them on there sides they the ones on the bottom would get stress fractures and be useless.

I have know doubt that you can do this but just be careful of how much weight you put in it and you might want to add support to the edges that have no support.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google