CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

AMbient temp is 70, UTH is at 86

Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
yvez9
Question AMbient temp is 70, UTH is at 86

Is 70 hot enough for the ambient air, also the cool side will be around 70 as well. The UTH shows 87 right above it on the glass. Should I get something to heat up the ambien air or is that enough? The temperature dropped a lot since last week here so it's pretty cool outside all of a sudden and we haven't turned up the heat inside as it is not really cold either, but we're no snake...

Old 08-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
PnyKlr
Your corn won't care as much about the air temp as he does the substrate (belly) temp. Make sure the "warm" side is between 80-85 and the cool side is between 70-75. In the winter time, my cool side drops to about 60-65, so I supplement it with a heat lamp, and that brings it up to 70.

I would say your temps are fine. If your snake thinks the air is too chilly, he will curl up in a hide on the warm side, or bury himself.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
bitsy
Agreed. Unless you have shelves or climbing equipment where your Corn usually spends his time, measuring temps above ground level is a waste of effort. The temp at ground level is the key.

I wouldn't worry unless your Corn starts to spend a lot of time down the warm end, when he doesn't usually do that.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
yvez9
Thanks for the info
well he's usually found hiding under the big branch which is on the cool side
at night i see him moving around and exploring everything.

I've tried to feed him this morning but he showed no interest
I'll try again tomorrow night!

Old 08-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
yvez9
Well well, the little bugger disappeared this afternoon

I'm pretty sure he managed to fit inside the piece of wood I ahve there. I can see little holes but not far enough to see where they lead. I've emptied out the whole aquarium and he's nowhere to be seen. The lid was locked so I can't see how he would've escaped...

Any trick on getting a snake out of a log?

Old 08-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
PnyKlr
This happened to another member not too long ago. I'd say to make the temperature of the log the opposite of what it was before. Meaning, if it was on the cool side, the snake preferred that, so make it warmer (trying to drive the snake out).

Or, you could wait it out, and check back tonight when it is most likely to be active.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
yvez9
Seeing how the log is quite bulky, I doubt just putting it above the UTH would warm it up enough to make a real difference. I'll wait it out a day or two and see if it will come out on its own. My biggest fear is that the snake will be stuck in there

Old 08-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
yvez9
I tried the heat trick anyway
I put the log on the warm side and cranked up the rheostat a little bit
I'll try to get it closer to 86-87 on the ground....

Old 08-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
BeckyG
I also suggest that when you get the snake out, remove the log until the snake is too big to get back into the holes.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
stingsmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvez9
Well well, the little bugger disappeared this afternoon

I'm pretty sure he managed to fit inside the piece of wood I ahve there. I can see little holes but not far enough to see where they lead. I've emptied out the whole aquarium and he's nowhere to be seen. The lid was locked so I can't see how he would've escaped...

Any trick on getting a snake out of a log?
Sounds familiar! My hatchling spent his first two days at our house hidden in the hollow core of an artificial log hide. My tank temps were almost identical to yours, but my log had been on the warm side. Since I was extremely concerned to know if he was hiding in there or had somehow escaped from a pretty secure viv, I decided to make the log less attractive by cooling it down. First I moved the log to the cool side. Then I laid a frozen cooler (inside a ziploc bag) right up against the branch where I hoped he was hiding. This drove him down into the larger part of the log where I could see him, and eventually I was able to remove him from the log.

Good Luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google