CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Moderator(s) needed here....
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #61
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
I know Rich was being asked his outlook and in no way am I attempting to answer for him. This is MY (no, I'm not yelling, just being specific) opinion of the thread:

Post #2
wat ^ welcom 2 the site. i dont liv in de moins, so i cnt help. but good luk

Post #4
I've got a dictionary for under $25.

Post #17
[in response to] plush was dose a dictionary for under 25$ mean 2 me. its just a book. i dont need a book.01-19-2007 08:58 PM

Are you sure about that?

Post #18
Comprehensive Guide to Corn Snakes VS A Dictionary? I'm not sure which one would benefit more in this case.

Post #29
Chat-Speak is not normally received well here. ( and by the way I'm 14, spell check really help if you do not know how to spell a word.)

Post #31
Books and yourself obviously DON'T get along Shame

Unfortunately the FAQ and search features will not take kindly to bad spelling and words that don't exist

No matter how much you don't like dictionary's or use your age as an excuse for the way you present yourself, the spell check button takes such little effort to clicky and correcty!

Post #35
I'm glad your learning And you wont go wrong with the "Katy Manula"

Post #38
First of all, PLEASE take the time to spell out your words,

Post #39
[in response to]whos Kate Manula. give me the link to her site if u have it plz.

Post #44
e_c_l: Owhay annoyingway isway itway orfay ouyay otay avehay otay
anslatetray isthay? Owhay eriouslysay ouldway ouyay aketay
omeonesay owhay otewray isthay ayway?

Your chat-speak is equally annoying. You won't be taken seriously here until you start writing in real English...

Post #50
First there was reptile addict then Jizzyfizzie now E_C_L......just kidding,...

Post #51
So if you enjoy presenting your thoughts as a six-year old might, go ahead... we'll continue laughing at you.

Post #54
It makes me sad that you'd want to appear stupid when you are not.

Followed by numerous posts pertaining to the release of bodily fluids from a number of members.

Post #88
FYI, snakes would be VENOMOUS, not POISONOUS.

Then some more posts about the release of bodily fluids.

Then the progression to the discussion of "tone".

Then the original poster returns with some colorful language and hostility.

Now, somewhere in this thread I had said something about persons not liking to be corrected. This person came here wanting to get a pair of corns but was given more information about spell check then corn snakes. A lot of what went on within this thread was either not necessary or could have been done via PM and not publicly.

I saw the original post before anyone had replied and I chose not to reply until something was said about auction sites. My response was taken well as were a few others, while the majority were not.
About the 'bodily fluids,' that was a bit of banter. Did you find this offensive?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #62
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
To be honest David, based on the posts you flagged, this would be a very dull place if you become a mod here. I don't disagree with you on most of the posts you've flagged, but you're way off base on some of them. I employ a "bad Roy, good Dean" method when dealing with people like the original poster of that thread. I think she and I ended things on the right note as far as our interaction was concerned. I won't apologize for my posts. But when I say you're off base, I'm really not referring to the posts of mine that you flagged.
Dean,

I was not picking out just one person, post or placing blame. I was trying to show a shortened progression of the way the thread went and a few highlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I really can't see what is wrong with the following posts. I think you'd have to be a real nazi-mod (that's nazi with a lowercase "n") to confront these posters for these words. The o.p. was beligerent from very early on in the thread. Why? Because she was asked to post coherently. Big deal. I think she deserved MOST of the abuse. Heck, she ASKED for it.
Dean,

The point I was trying to make with the posts you are placing under the "nazi-mod" umbrella was the amount of times the same thing had already been said previously in the thread. 29 and 38 posts into the thread saying the same thing over and over when it is obviously not being well received was what I was trying to bring to light.

Post 88 in my opinion could have been done via PM and not in the already unstable thread. As I have said before, most people don't like being corrected, and to have it done out in the open bothers some even more.

I have to disagree with the last two sentences bolded above. NOBODY deserves to abused here. I believe that it is the abuse that Rich is looking to stop.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #63
JM :o)
Susan and Mbdorfer

Both seem very even handed to me
~ too heavy a hand in moderation will kill all the "play" that often crops up in a board. Too light and the lunatics are running the asylum.

Even handed
Susan and Mbdorfer get my votes

Old 02-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #64
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Dean,

I was not picking out just one person, post or placing blame. I was trying to show a shortened progression of the way the thread went and a few highlights.
Well, I'll admit that that's a little different. If your post was a synopsis, then I don't have a real problem with it.

Quote:
Dean,

The point I was trying to make with the posts you are placing under the "nazi-mod" umbrella was the amount of times the same thing had already been said previously in the thread. 29 and 38 posts into the thread saying the same thing over and over when it is obviously not being well received was what I was trying to bring to light.
Considering the attitude of the o.p., I guess I'm still not that concerned with how well she received anything. I'll admit that I have very little tolerance for snotty kids, especially when they are directing their snottiness at adults. When I was a kid, you'd get your a$$ kicked for this (literally or figuratively). If I talked crap to my mother or another adult in her presence, she wouldn't physically abuse me. She'd verbally put me in my place in such a way that I'd think two or three times before repeating the error. Humiliation is a powerful corrective tool.

Quote:
Post 88 in my opinion could have been done via PM and not in the already unstable thread. As I have said before, most people don't like being corrected, and to have it done out in the open bothers some even more.
Post 88 was educational. There was nothing wrong with it at all. If you don't like being corrected, then don't present incorrect information on a public discussion board.

Quote:
I have to disagree with the last two sentences bolded above. NOBODY deserves to abused here. I believe that it is the abuse that Rich is looking to stop.
Maybe I used the wrong word. Abuse implies an overly harsh, undeserved response. That snotty kid deserved everything she got. In the end, she even attacked her defenders. We don't need her kind here anyway. If others drove her away, I commend them. Maybe this makes me a poor candidate for modship.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #65
carol
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MohrSnakes again.

Yep.

On another point, I understand it is important to be welcoming to newbies but it is also difficult when I know my son could have composed a better post when he was 6 years old. If they aren't going to put any thought into their post, neither am I. It was tempting to mention that in the original thread, but I resisted.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #66
CaptBogart
With the newer generations, there's a change in the misconception that all snakes are evil. Just go to a show and you'll see the children outnumber the adults by quite a bit, many dragging reluctant parents around to tables. This forum will, (and does), attract a lot of these kids. These kids need advise their parents can't give. Guess what? Now we need surrogate parents to watch over the children, and those that act like it....
I went to read that thread, and like most multiple page threads, another train wreck in action. Most of these threads leave me feeling sorry for the original poster...
This multi page thread... same... the debate is supposed to be over moderators, not explaining ones actions in the thread mentioned...
I believe there are a few good choices in the group, (who've been mentioned), and I'll be happy to vote for them. They also happen to be parents themselves...

Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #67
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake5007
Sorry, i'm a bit late here. My three choices for moderators would be Dean, tyflier and mbdorfer.
Oops! I really should have put jazzgeek on this list, too.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #68
Eremita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
All things considered, especially recalling a recent event where I posted evidence of a chat room situation I wanted to end, I would prefer to not go down that avenue again. The thread I indicated in the opening post for this thread has a number of issues, which I hope most people who would consider the position of moderator would be readily cognizant of.
(...)
Thanks.
Well, this suggests a motive other than time for Rich hiring moderators.

Plus, I imagine I should keep in mind Rich's sympathy for some of these people that get castigated when picking our new overlords.

-Sean

Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #69
stangs13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemoNox
That and being grounded.

Thank you Daemo....

I will be a good boy if I become a mod.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #70
NI GUY
I can't believe I just see this but I have to say
after reading the other thread I found it appalling the
way a 14 year old boy was treated.
There's been a lot on the news here
in the U.K lately about bullying.Are we
just starting to see another type crawl to the surface.
Are forum not about us all learning about are much loved
hobby and if the lad had to be explained something
that might embarrass them could it not have been done in a PM.

Good call Rich and I think it will help stop this.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread