CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

So how fast do your corns digest their food?

Old 04-15-2003, 07:55 PM   #1
13mur 6
So how fast do your corns digest their food?

Hey everyone,

Remember that corn with the swollen belly and nasty poop? Well she's on her way back to recovery (just need her to gain some weight). She ate her first large sized meal last Sunday (a small rat pink), and she's managed to keep it down and looks like the lump is just about gone today. So it's taking her more than 4 days to digest a larger than normal meal.

How long does it take your snakes to digest their meals? (or the lump of the food item to go away?)

-13mur 6

Old 04-15-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
Canadain Eh?
My snake take one day to digest two pinkies.But mine is just a baby. But I wouldn't worry if I was you. I'm not a perfect sciencetist but... I hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:13 PM   #3
Iris
I don't know if this is just my snakes or not, but my females poops 1 to 2 days after she eats, and one of my males poops 4-5 days after he eats. the female is < 1 year old and the male is almost 2. I wonder if that has something to do with it
Anyway, I hope this helped

Old 04-15-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
13mur 6
Yeah, I guess I'm just a little worried. My snake still has a spine ridge showing and I can still just barely feel her ribs under her skin sometimes, and I'm trying to balance between feeding her enough so she gains weight, but not pushing her till the point she regurges. She doesn't seem to put much of her food onto her bones.

I need to get a new digital scale, my old one broke and the warranty expired, . That used to be my single way of getting a measure of how things were coming along.

Maybe I'm bothering her too much, a funny thing happened yesterday. Around the 4th time I checked on her for the day to see how her digestion was going along she sorta looked at me and started gaping her mouth like she does right before she regurges, but I quickly replaced her hide ontop of her and left her alone till this afternoon, and she seems fine with no regurge in sight (I use paper towel bedding so hard to miss). I guess she knows how to make me worry.

-13mur 6

Old 04-16-2003, 05:05 AM   #5
limey
if your trying to put wieght on your conr dont feed large items ! , feed lots of little items and bulid them up slowly (i knwo some snake that dispite there size refuse to take more than onefood item so your pretty much stuck with one large fodd item)
the reason for feeding lots of little itme is the snake will digest smaller prey items much faster weight for weight, for instance the snow corn i have psoted in the gallery will happily eat fluffs of varying sizes if i give him just one large fluff it takes him about 4/5 days to digets it and want anohter meal if i give hhim to small fluffs he'll be ready to snack again in about 3/4 days and in all probablility ate far more in two small fluffs .......give it try

Old 04-16-2003, 07:47 PM   #6
13mur 6
Oh, actually, she should be eating much larger food items for her age and size (she's over a year old now and she's 28" long, she used to be on hoppers last summer).

She actually digested the whole thing in the 4 days and left me a nice big present last night to clean up (fully and thoroughly digested poop).

-13mur 6

Old 04-16-2003, 08:36 PM   #7
snkegrl
i think mine have problems or something because it takes them about a week to digest their food and too deficate. and then after two weeks are more their still deficating until all of it is out(like if i feed my corn 3 weanling mice he poops 3 times).
but its never within that same week like y'alls is

i think it has to do with something about them not heating themselves up after they feed, they don't go in the hide boxes over the heating mat they always stay on the cooler side.

its not like its to hot its perfect i can keep my hand over the mat forever

Old 04-17-2003, 07:32 AM   #8
fateamber
Iv'e noticed that it takes Akasha around a day to digest two or three pinkies(mice) but it can take up to three days to digest a fuzzie (mouse)!

Old 04-17-2003, 10:54 AM   #9
SnakeLover#1
One of my snakes takes 3-5 days to digest his meal and hes a little guy only about a foot long.Is this normal?He is on 1 pinkie is that good?BTW he dosent have a growth problem he is just a baby.

Please help

Thanx

Old 04-17-2003, 01:46 PM   #10
J_Daniels
It seems to me (and I'm no Vet, just an opinion) that the biggest factor in this is thermal conditions.

My corns old home was kept around 80-83 degrees, and "poo" seemed to happen in about 5 days. When I moved my guys to their new home, I stepped up the heating because of the larger size of the aquarium and the temp leveled at between 85-88 degrees. Now, the "poo" seems to come in around 3 days.

BTW- fateamber, are you a fan of Anne Rice's vampire chronicles also? Five of my corns are named after her vampires (Akasha, Lestat, Armand, Enkil, and Thorne).

My Akasha is Anery:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google