CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Live Feeding

Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #71
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsock
now, do you mean that he is co-habitating with someone or that he has his snakes co-habitating together?
LOL... I'm a grown man, thats none of your business (yes I'm joking, it's just LOL was " 1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #72
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol
His male/female pair lives in one viv 24/7.

read and post about it here, no need to hijack this thread

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthr...7&page=1&pp=10

Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #73
jamay
I'm new to this but f/t and live mice aren't any different. They contain the same nutrients, so why take the chance of hurting your snake with live? You won't be releasing him into the wild so he has no need to practice killing his prey. If he's reached 5.5 ft on f/t, I'd say you stick to them.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #74
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamay
I'm new to this but f/t and live mice aren't any different. They contain the same nutrients, so why take the chance of hurting your snake with live? You won't be releasing him into the wild so he has no need to practice killing his prey. If he's reached 5.5 ft on f/t, I'd say you stick to them.
Live mice and f/t mice ARE different. Freezing DOES reduce the nutritional value of the prey item, and the longer it's frozen the more the value is reduced. The difference is marginal, but I thought I'd bring it up...

And while I'm playing devil's advocate, I'd like to point out that your snake doesn't require practice to subdue prey after a long periond of captivity. A hungry snake knows how to take care of a live prey item of suitable size despite X number of years in captivity.

Except for my picky rosy boa baby, the other 100+ snakes around here all get f/t, and they love it.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #75
jamay
learn something new every day....that's why i'm here. thanks for the corrections though.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #76
cka
just two cents, for what it's worth...two cents...

I've never been able to even want to feed "stunned" prey...They're mice and all, so either if they are live life is gonna suck for them real soon anyhow; why make it worse? Or they are dead, and it's so much less stressful for all involved. If you have to feed live, to a corn, it will know what to do. You can monitor the situation with tongs or hemos if the mouse gets in a position to bite, and you don't have to feed them jumbo sized, super-mouse (you know, with biiiig pointy fangs)...

Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #77
hartsock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
Live mice and f/t mice ARE different. Freezing DOES reduce the nutritional value of the prey item, and the longer it's frozen the more the value is reduced. The difference is marginal, but I thought I'd bring it up...
Really? Are you basing that on nutritional values of other meat when frozen or has there actually been a study done on mice/rats concerning this? I am not challanging what you said, just never heard of that and I tend to want to be a sponge when it comes to snake knowledge....thanks!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #78
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by cka
(you know, with biiiig pointy fangs)...
LOL Chris...are you talking about mice or the legendary Rabbit of Caerbannog, with nasty big pointy teeth?

regards,
Tim The Enchanter

Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #79
Flagg
I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread, but the original poster is from the UK.

Feeding live is against the law in the UK, unless its a problem feeder that refuses to eat anything else.

I apologise if this has been covered, but it's a huge thread. =)

Old 10-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #80
Corny Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
That's where we disagree, I don't consider a dog/cat/snake/mouse etc to be on the same level as a parent/spouse/child (human being) And I would assume you feel the same way unless you are a vegan and even then their are points to disagree on, but thats a another conversation.

Ok I got tired of reading the bickering back and forth but here is where I stopped reading and decided to comment. I'm a "mommy" (lol) to many animals and I'm gravid (lol again) soon to be mommy to a human.
I am not vegan (where the **** did you pull that one out of?) And I think being responsible for any other life is important.
If you chose to make yourself responsible you're dutiful to give them the best care you possibly can.

Period

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google