CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Petco Nightmare (Cohabbing not so great)

Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 AM   #51
Stregone
To the OP, Have you reported this in any way to corporate? I work at a petco (in the grooming salon) and corporate, atleast in my district, takes that sort of thing pretty seriously. 3 care alerts on a managers watch and they get fired is the official policy. This would definitely be a care alert, heck maybe even two or three. Here's a form you can fill out. There's also a phone number on that page.

I've never seen that happen at my store, and it doesn't actualy happen often in any case. So if it happened twice at the same time at the same place they must be doing something really stupid. Like not separating them for feeding, or forgetting to feed them all together

Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 AM   #52
snakewispera snr
I always thought there was an un-written rule here that you can't post miss information as a newb might see it an think it's o.k. Like if I said its O.K. to change the water every month as the don't drink much, or keep your temps at 65-70 and they're easier to catch.
So can't this pro-co-hab thing be relegated to the miss-information pile and people warned about persistently banging on that it fine. After all it has been said that experienced keepers have managed it, but some of the experienced newbs are calling it now and it gets boring.
After all snakes are cheap and the set up costs so if a new newb keeps reading that its possible how tempted are they to get that second snake
MIKE

Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #53
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty1234me View Post
The only thing I've seen (which wasn't on this site) is that cornsnakes have been found cohabing in the wild (the website didn't alude to this being a normal thing though...and I don't think it is normal due to their solitary nature).
That isn't cohabitating! That's competing for the same optimal space at that moment. If snakes liked being together, out in the wild, then why don't we see them hunting in pairs or packs, or sunning in the road in packs, or wriggling across the bike trail in packs? The only time you find them together is when they have taken shelter under the same piece of tin. They probably don't even realize another snake is under there.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #54
Pretty1234me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
That isn't cohabitating! That's competing for the same optimal space at that moment. If snakes liked being together, out in the wild, then why don't we see them hunting in pairs or packs, or sunning in the road in packs, or wriggling across the bike trail in packs? The only time you find them together is when they have taken shelter under the same piece of tin. They probably don't even realize another snake is under there.
I wouldn't expect to see snakes hunting or sunning together, etc. because those aren't typical characteristics of solitary animals. I don't know the full story behind what I read as this was some time ago and I wasn't searching for information on cohabitating at that time. What I had seen was this guy holding two corns together and a paragraph beside it explaining that he found them under the same rock together. I may have jumped to an early conclusion after reading that. I assumed that they were "tolerating one another as best they could /peacefully". The guy could have very well seen what you mentioned ("optimal space at that moment" / snakes not realizing that another snake was there) and interpreted it as something else. I tried to find it y-day but couldn't remember how I even stumbled across the dang website in the first place...

Just for clarification, if anyone has misunderstood me, I've never denied that noncohabitaters don't have valid concerns because they do.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #55
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergrin View Post

Actually, I must admit I've wondered if snakes can get bored;

That's what breeding season's for.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #56
ZoologyMajor
It is a shame that the employees at most of those places just don't seem to care. Lucky for the snakes at the Petco by me they have an awesome employee that takes great care of them and actually cares that they are treated right. Petsmart by me also feeds theirs crickets..I guess cuz they don't sell the feeder mice at all.. poor snakes.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #57
Stregone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyMajor View Post
It is a shame that the employees at most of those places just don't seem to care. Lucky for the snakes at the Petco by me they have an awesome employee that takes great care of them and actually cares that they are treated right. Petsmart by me also feeds theirs crickets..I guess cuz they don't sell the feeder mice at all.. poor snakes.
Thats the store I work at

Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 PM   #58
ZoologyMajor
All of a sudden I feel like singing "It's a Small World" hehe

Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #59
jamay
I work at a local pet store and have since 2000. We have always housed corn snake hatchlings together. Right now there are 10-12 together in a 20g tank. Not once have we had the Petco incidence occur. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but our animals are treated well and cared for without negligence (even those stupid anoles that I hate so much). So I'm not worried about it. If I am going to worry about anything, it will be for the all the rodents that are bred just to be killed.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #60
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamay View Post
I work at a local pet store and have since 2000. We have always housed corn snake hatchlings together. Right now there are 10-12 together in a 20g tank. Not once have we had the Petco incidence occur. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but our animals are treated well and cared for without negligence (even those stupid anoles that I hate so much). So I'm not worried about it. If I am going to worry about anything, it will be for the all the rodents that are bred just to be killed.
Are your snakes vegetarians?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google